Remember when we were young and this was the look we were going for.

-
Well, on the big island we have one. In Alaska, there was one. IN Alaska, the biggest class was "top street" which was 10.00-11.99, at least 30 cars every weekend in that class- so that was where the money was! Here in Hawaii, the "full" class is the 8.99-9.99 here, with at least 30 cars every race weekend. Hawaii is an odd duck- the track is actually owned by the county, rather than private. It has a good and bad thing about it as well. The location itself is kinda odd- it's in a rain forest, so rainouts common! But you have all year. In Alaska, you had about 13 weekends packed into a summer, and hoped there was no rainouts. Here you can race nearly every weekend, and there are two sanctioning bodies, and points are only every month. Oahu had one, the reason I moved her actually, that was shut down in the early 2000s. Maui has one as well, a very nice one. I believe Kaui does as well.
Well, on the big island we have one. In Alaska, there was one. IN Alaska, the biggest class was "top street" which was 10.00-11.99, at least 30 cars every weekend in that class- so that was where the money was! Here in Hawaii, the "full" class is the 8.99-9.99 here, with at least 30 cars every race weekend. Hawaii is an odd duck- the track is actually owned by the county, rather than private. It has a good and bad thing about it as well. The location itself is kinda odd- it's in a rain forest, so rainouts common! But you have all year. In Alaska, you had about 13 weekends packed into a summer, and hoped there was no rainouts. Here you can race nearly every weekend, and there are two sanctioning bodies, and points are only every month. Oahu had one, the reason I moved her actually, that was shut down in the early 2000s. Maui has one as well, a very nice one. I believe Kaui does as well.
Wow, didn't realize all those strips were out there. Especially in Alaska.
Learned a lot there. Thanks!

Stuck in the good old days too. Wish I knew then!

0615 049.jpg

This still gives me chills when I think back or see cars set up this way. Still Is my dream to build a period correct, late '60s early '70s Super stock, Modified production or Gasser clone that I can cruise with and drive to car shows!
Anybody else feel this way:thumbsup:
View attachment 1716196238
I have no idea what what you are talking about, 1968:

500img-039-Third-crop-edit- (2).jpg

Nobody narrowed rear ends, mini tubbed or had custom offset wheels back then. If you wanted big tires, you jacked it up for clearance. Ask me how I know:)
It was a wonderful era for musclecars. I came into it in the mid 80s. I love the bias ply N50 15 look. Jacked up in the rear. Practical? No. But even as a 16 year old kid I was able to buy them new big tires- Formula 1 Superstocks and some 15x10 Cragar SSTs with air shocks. Ill take the day 2 look any day over the modern slammed to the ground with Dylan Mulvany/Chip Foose oversize pro touring wheels.

I went to a Luau once, down by the strip on Oahu. If I remember right, there was a junkyard close to it! That was in 1989. Came back again in 2003 and asked one of the locals working at the Luau if it was still running. He said it was still there, but shut down. Made a whirlwind tour of The Big Island in 2003 when we were there, but didn't see the strip. It was a long day with a big detour around a lava flow! I'd be shocked if there was one on Kauhi. I've never been, but isn't that where all the rich people and movie stars go?

I went to a Luau once, down by the strip on Oahu. If I remember right, there was a junkyard close to it! That was in 1989. Came back again in 2003 and asked one of the locals working at the Luau if it was still running. He said it was still there, but shut down. Made a whirlwind tour of The Big Island in 2003 when we were there, but didn't see the strip. It was a long day with a big detour around a lava flow! I'd be shocked if there was one on Kauhi. I've never been, but isn't that where all the rich people and movie stars go?
The strip here is still here, not going anywhere, and expanding. Especially since the big money racers etc really have to come here or Maui to race. I have to go over two lava flows to get home now since the 2018 flow- I was evacuated like 4 times, ended up sleeping on the floor of my clinic for 2 months! But the drag strip, go cart track, dirt track, oval etc are still in the same complex.

FYI_ I went into the army in 1982, got out in 1988. During the active time, until late early 1985, I probably flipped over 100 muscle car era cars by using my travel money back and forth to Alaska, buy em cheap in the south, sell em dear in Alaska. From 62 corvettes to 70 LS6 Chevelles to Challenger RTs and Boss 351 Mustangs- I went through most of the best of the best, owned em all. Took all that money, went around the world for nearly 2 years. Spend all my money on liquor, drugs, rock and roll and totally hot women. The rest of the money I wasted.

I bought an 8 3/4 out of a 69 Dart Swinger many years ago. It had the ZigZag man painted on the back. It was kind of fitting for back in those days.
Yeah, had the Plymouth heart painted on the pumpkin. When I was 18, probably didn't care who liked it.

46 years behind the wheel of this car. My "look" hasn't really changed.

beepics 002.JPG

Present day..
bee&birdjuly182019 044.JPG

1982 hanging out and my girlfriend and her sister comes home in her new boyfriend's car. He pulls up in a 1969 Mach 1 with Cragars, jacked up with 50s on the back that stuck out of the quarter panels.
We both said what a cool car.

1989 I see a local ad for a Mach 1 for sale. Yep, same car, different owner, 50s still on it. I drove it home for 3k and it rode like a truck! First order of business was to take off the 50s bias plies and put on four new radials!

FYI_ I went into the army in 1982, got out in 1988. During the active time, until late early 1985, I probably flipped over 100 muscle car era cars by using my travel money back and forth to Alaska, buy em cheap in the south, sell em dear in Alaska. From 62 corvettes to 70 LS6 Chevelles to Challenger RTs and Boss 351 Mustangs- I went through most of the best of the best, owned em all. Took all that money, went around the world for nearly 2 years. Spend all my money on liquor, drugs, rock and roll and totally hot women. The rest of the money I wasted.
You Sir are now officially my hero! Well done!

Each to their own its a generational thing, personally i think looks like a hot wheels car. Rather a newer pro street look, dont care much for concourse either. Think depends on age
I am just curious what you mean when you say "Newer Pro street Look". Do you mean taking an older classic like an E Body or a 69 Barracuda and giving it the Pro Street look (which is a rather 'newer' look, or do you mean taking a newer car like a 2018 Challenger and giving it the Pro Street look? I do kid of agree with your view on the concours thing. They are kind of fun to look at, but these cars were meant to be driven, and a $200,000 piece of garage jewelry that only moves into and out of the trailer does not do much for me. It is a part of the hobby (an important part, perhaps), but I'd much rather look at a nice resto-mod that gets driven. And by resto-mod I don't mean a car with crazy modifications, I mean a car that was restored to look pretty much like it was when new but the owner added his personal touches.

I am just curious what you mean when you say "Newer Pro street Look". Do you mean taking an older classic like an E Body or a 69 Barracuda and giving it the Pro Street look (which is a rather 'newer' look, or do you mean taking a newer car like a 2018 Challenger and giving it the Pro Street look? I do kid of agree with your view on the concours thing. They are kind of fun to look at, but these cars were meant to be driven, and a $200,000 piece of garage jewelry that only moves into and out of the trailer does not do much for me. It is a part of the hobby (an important part, perhaps), but I'd much rather look at a nice resto-mod that gets driven. And by resto-mod I don't mean a car with crazy modifications, I mean a car that was restored to look pretty much like it was when new but the owner added his personal touches.
I am Australian so what we call pro street is a street driven car that looks like a drag car, thats the look i am going for with my duster. For example, low mean, mini tubbed, welds, big motor or a hemi 6.4 etc, caltracs. I think saying modern may have confused things. Or do you call this a resto mod?

12788859-1970-plymouth-duster-std.jpg

I am Australian so what we call pro street is a street driven car that looks like a drag car, thats the look i am going for with my duster. For example, low mean, mini tubbed, welds, big motor or a hemi 6.4 etc, caltracs. I think saying modern may have confused things. Or what do you call this,,.resto mod?

View attachment 1716197672
Nice

Last edited:
Well I suppose my avatar qualifies. Sits too high in the rear for my taste with the street tires but looks just about right when the slicks are on it. So I've left it alone for now (pic is before the stripes were added to it).
20230809_200555.jpg

-
Back