Remote start?

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anybody install a simple remote start unit in your Mopar? Looking for a simple one for a Dakota. No alarm or power locks. Thanks, tmm

I just sent for all the parts to put elec door locks in my 66-B-Cuda. I looked at all the units available at 'sonicelectronix",
and could not find just a single dedicated unit, for just door locks. I ended up with a unit for a car alarm, and door locks. Their were quite a few with remote start, and one other action, and their might be a single action only with just remote start. You might have to use a dual unit, and just not use one function on it. The prices were good, on all there stuff, and shipping is free. They are in Kentucky.
I have bought from them before with no ill side effects. Check them out.

Dave

Last edited:
Mopar Mike
I know what you mean. The system I have coming is for remote start, and remote door locks. I am not going to use the remote start feature.

Dave

67Dart273
Its not so much of a system, but a bunch of stuff I ordered to install remote door locks in my 66 B-Cuda. the remote alarm doesn't come with the solenoids to unlock the doors, so I ordered them from the same mfgr to match the remote.
I still have to get some "door Poppers" as they are called, to open the doors after the locks open. that is another set of solenoids to open the door mechanism.
I am planning on removing the handles, and welding plates in the door handle holes. kind of a mild custom.

Dave

67Dart273
Its not so much of a system, but a bunch of stuff I ordered to install remote door locks in my 66 B-Cuda. the remote alarm doesn't come with the solenoids to unlock the doors, so I ordered them from the same mfgr to match the remote.
I still have to get some "door Poppers" as they are called, to open the doors after the locks open. that is another set of solenoids to open the door mechanism.
I am planning on removing the handles, and welding plates in the door handle holes. kind of a mild custom.

Dave

Well what is the remote, the electronics, that is what I'm asking......brand..........model.......where?

Thanks

Its been approx' 5 years since I put remote start in the wifes 2011 RAV4 as a Christmas gift. I found a forum ( the12volt.com ), and did a lot of reading, then joined and ask some questions. The most important thing I learned, some of the aftermarkets key fob remotes had changed from dang near bullet proof to cell phone like, do not drop it, crap. I was lucky to find a NOS kit dated 2008. I can't recall the brand of that remote kit.
This 2011 vehicle does have factory anti theft so I had to buy additional bypass module. 5 years later, not one minutes trouble, not even replaced a battery in a remote.

Last edited:
I have remote starts installed in my 2005 dodge ram and 2005 toyota 4-runner. The ram has a viper kit and the toyota has one that I bought at advanced auto.
Just be aware that if you put it on something that has the chip in key, it will require a spare key or an additional module.
BTW, once you go remote start you will never go back. One of the justifications of putting fuel injection on my dart is so I will be able to install a remote start. Sure you can do it with a carb too but it has to be tuned perfectly for cold starts.

I have only installed a few. Maybe 1000.
There is some real junk out there.
I gave up on them when my eyesight started declining And the multiple network vehicles moved to the forefront. Canadian mfg products i am familiar with, i was a big fan of COMMAND START until they sold and went down the tubes.
Another favorite was the ultrastarter. Very easy install and covered all the bases.

Dont get any bright ideas about putting one on a carbureted engine. Only one brand would do it and they gone. But i saved a few just in case....

Door lock actuators-theres maybe three types, if they offer heavy duty 2 wire i would use those.
The type that actuate the other door are problematic (5 wire if i recall)
The door poppers are all pretty decent.
I used a cable pull type for my ramcharger and routed cable through a guide tube to get the cable in the right place. Popped rear hatch with ease.

^^so what are a few brands models you liked and maybe a couple you didn't?^^

Well, command start is gone.
Ultrastart
Prostart (canadian tire exclusive)
Autostart same as above
Arctic start also same as above.

Some are more complicatead than they need to be
Compustar
Astro flex
And one more i will try to find, supplied by oem and installed in the dealerships. I did many of them,and every one was a challenge.

I used to sell/install black widow,very simple and decent range. That aparrently went down the tubes too.

Bulldog security has been around for a while, although they arent the greatest, they have the best
Wiring diagrams available.

Its been a few years, i stay away from the newer stuff (controller area network) and still do the occasional hard wired non anti-theft type systems.

Anybody install a simple remote start unit in your Mopar? Looking for a simple one for a Dakota. No alarm or power locks. Thanks, tmm
gotta ask if it's a chipped key or not. that makes a difference. my 95 dakota didn't need a chip and I just installed a cheapy Ebay autostart unit on it. that one is still running last I knew. sold it on 2005 to my neice.
this on is going in my 66 but will work on my 2007 caliber too.
oops posted the wrong one. here is the one I have for my 66 dart.
Ultrastart U1280-XR-PRO 2800 Foot Car Remote Starter Keyless Entry Ultra Start | eBay
and all I have to do is start the car Twice since it's carb'ed . 1st time doesn't quite start it till the solenoid kick in for the A/C on the carb . I cheated on the new 66 dart setup and used a door popper to pump the throttle a couple of times in place of the A/c solenoid. since the engine isn't in the car yet I can't tell how good that will work but it does activate on the extra buttons on the fobs and fires the popper every time I hit the button, so it should work as planned.

Last edited:
The biggest issue you will find is keeping a battery in the remote. Its constantly powered. Im hoping the technology has improved and this is not the case.
Compustar had a similar one that used the proximity sensor and it ate batteries like my kid eats smarties.

gotta ask if it's a chipped key or not. that makes a difference. my 95 dakota didn't need a chip and I just installed a cheapy Ebay autostart unit on it. that one is still running last I knew. sold it on 2005 to my neice.
Ultrastart U1280-XR-PRO 2800 Foot Car Remote Starter Keyless Entry Ultra Start | eBay
and all I have to do is start the car Twice since it's carb'ed . 1st time doesn't quite start it till the solenoid kick in for the A/C on the carb . I cheated on the new 66 dart setup and used a door popper to pump the throttle a couple of times in place of the A/c solenoid. since the engine isn't in the car yet I can't tell how good that will work but it does activate on the extra buttons on the fobs and fires the popper every time I hit the button, so it should work as planned.
96 Dakota. Fuel injected but no chipped key.

Ultrastarter,were good units.
Command start had a dedicated wire for a carb kicker solenoid.
One kick,crank. Three tries before it gives up. If it starts,would kick throttle every 90 seconds. Built in over-rev cutoff in case throttle sticks.
Took me longer to dial in carb than to install remote.its been in my power wagon for at least 15 years.

Last edited:
-
Back