removal of intake locating pegs 73' 360 LA

-

The Furnace

Reaction score
I'm installing an edelbrock performer RPM air gap intake manifold on my 1973 360 LA engine do the locating pegs on the front and rear of the block need to be removed? no decking was done during the machining process. The intake seems to be teetering on those pegs and also the instructions say not to use the cork gaskets just RTV sealant any input on that would also greatly be appreciated.

Most folks remove the locating pins. Use a good 1/4" to 3/8" bead of silicone and seat it. Be sure to get a bit in the corners where the head meets the block.

I would let it set for 24 hours before you start it.

Don't forget some NON hardening thread sealant on the intake bolts.

X2
Pull them and seal the ends with RTV silicone or similar product.

I'm glad you noticed,,

I've seen a few bent manifolds with the pin impressions boldly visible, where the reciprocal holes weren't.. lol..

cheers

I'm glad you noticed,,

I've seen a few bent manifolds with the pin impressions boldly visible, where the reciprocal holes weren't.. lol..

cheers

Or broken corners.

Pull the pins, lay the intake down and trace a line with a marker/scribe where the silicone would go. Pay real close attention to the pass front corner. Actual sealing surface is a bit recessed from the edge.

Thanks everyone! Says all the above in the instructions once I actually read them. Still wondered about the whole not using the felpro permatorque gaskets that what came with my rebuild kit.

Still wondered about the whole not using the felpro permatorque gaskets that what came with my rebuild kit.

They are often to thick to allow the bolt holes to line up enough to get the bolts in.
Set the intake on with those gaskets and you will see why they say that.
If they will line up, I'd use the permatorque's.

I hear people saying those gaskets are to hard for the aluminum intake so i just ordered the edelbrock ones I just have to wait for them, I guess those perma torque gaskets work best with the heavy cast intake that can be tourqued down tighter without the risk of cracking. Maybe it's all B.S. LOL

You'll never get the bolts in if you use the cork end seals. Save yourself the trouble, ditch the pins and the cork end gaskets!

Never a problem with those perma-torque gaskets.

-
Back