Removal of windsheild and rear window

-

Stepper

Reaction score
I'm in the process of disassembling my 69 dart for media blasting.
I removed the trim around the windshield and rear window.....bent the sh*t out of them too...even with a trim tool.

My questions are:

1. How do I remove the windshield and rear window?
Obviously the rubber seal(s) need to be removed, but I'm not certain how to go about doing this....what tools....which/what techniques..etc

2. How do I remove those damn trim holders/anchors. I "think" there's screws holding them in. But I can't tell for certain. After the trouble I had getting the trim off...I want to make sure I don't cause myself any additional work in the long run by possibly incorrectly taking the trim holders off incorrectly.

3. How do I go about replacing the glass after I've painted the car. Will a glass company even mess with a car this old? Or should I do it myself?

Thanks,
Mike

If the front glass is still good with no cracks then I would have a glass guy take it out. 9 times out of 10 I break the front glass. The front is usually pretty easy to get out, just not usually intact. I think once you pull the locking strip it will come out.

The rear you can soak in WD 40 to soften the rubber gasket and then use putty knives from the inside and out. Eventually the whole thing will come out. The trim clips are screwed in but some of the screw heads will probablly be rusted out. You will want to buy new, the trim clip kits are $25 on ebay and a few other places. Good luck finding new window gaskets as they are in short supply right now.

My front windshield had a crack and needed replaced anyway so I took it out myself. When the paint is finnished and the headliner is in I will install new trim clips. Then I will have the glass guy out to install a new windshield and re-install my rear glass.

Since you not wanting to save the rubbers just use a razor knife and start cutting as flat as you can to cut off the lip holding the glass in. Once you get it all removed gently pry it with something wide try to loosen the bond between the glass and rubber. Good Luck. There is a seller on ebay that has all those clips that you need.

Hell, If your media blasting, the windshield and backglass should be the least of your worries..... getting the headliner in and then the glass... that will show your mettle of a REAL mopar meckanik. ;)

I worked in a salvage yard during the 80's and 90's. One of my areas of expertise was glass removal with the intent to save the glass for resale. I used to break one in twenty which was a good average. What are your objectives besides removing the glass? Are you reusing the glass? Are you reusing the gaskets? If the objective is to save the gasket and the glass is going to be replaced then this method is best and quick. Now that you have already removed the trim and wiper arms. Next put a blanket on the hood and fender to protect them from more damage. The same can also be done to the dash. Next get some Lestoil soap. Mix this in a spray bottle of about 30 percent water and 70 percent soap. Liberally spray both the inside and outside of the glass especially the gasket surfaces. Let the soap solution sit a minute or two. Now get in the car and sit in the center of the seat. Put your feet on the windshield on toward the top on both sides and pust the glass out. If your rubber gasket is not deteriorated the glass and gasket will push out together and land on the blanket on the hood. The windshield will probably crack but the gasket should be fine and can now be separated from the glass, cleaned and reused. If the intent is to reuse the glass and replace the gasket, again spray the glass and gasket with the Lestoil soap solution as directed above. Now carefully use a razor knife held flat against the glass on the outside and cut the gasket. It is best to make multiple cuts going around the perimeter of the glass rather than trying to cut completely thru it one one pass. After the top layer is cut and removed you should now see the edge of the glass. Now cut completely around the edge of the glass with a helper on the inside of the glass to hold the glass in place. After cutting thru the rubber the glass should be loose and ready to lift out. If not then repeat cutting the inside rubber like you did the outside the the razor held close to the glass. Very seldom will you have to make three different cuts. If the intent is to save the glass and the gasket then follow this next procedure. Again spray the gasket and glass very liberally with the above soap solution. Make certain that the glass and gasket are very warm like it would be on a hot summer day. Now use several straight blade screwdrivers with narrow shafts. Start at one corner of the glass and insert the driver between the gasket and the body of the car and gently work the screw driver to the outside of the car. Leave the driver in place and start the same procedure again about six inches away. Do this every six to eight inches until you are able to remove both the glass and gasket from the car. You must be patient and take your time and this should be successful but no guarantee. When handling glass where gloves. Just remember that experienced guys doing this for a living are not successful 100 percent of the time. I hope you find this helpful. Gregg

Good tips. I went to the junkyard and "practiced" on old cars, 1 mopar and 4 Fords about 68 vintage. Pushed them out with my feet as described starting at a corner (broke that one), then did the same on the short side, once that was giving way, I moved to the center and pushed a little more and it started to give, then moved to the other side. by that time it was almost all the way out and could have pulled it out by hand. the lockstrips were out of all cars. The curved glass is pretty strong, didnt break any of that stuff. Flat glass like a VW might be tricky, but VW glass is 10 bucks new so no matter.

Thanks guys.

I didn't know you could save and reuse the gaskets.
I assumed taking out the window would ruin the gaskets.

The front windshield is already cracked so I won't have to be as gentle as the rear.

I even thought about using a heat gun around the perimeter of the windows to soften the sealant first, but if it's literally a pry-and-push effort maybe I can hold off on buying a heat gun right now.

Thanks again.

Mike

as for wide flat items use wood shims found at your local hardware store, a plastic wedge works better than a screwdriver less chance of breaking.

as for the rear glass -- make sure you can get new gaskets/ glass before you compromise either piece.

I've pulled glass from 60-66 cars -- hot days & patience are your friend-- good luck ,Lawrence

-
Back