Remove Locating Pin from Bell Housing?

-

eekvonzipper

My Member is Legendary!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Help! 3-Speed to 4-Speed Conversion...
The Motor Block still has both Locating Pins in it...
The New Bell-Housing Also has One!
How do I get that out? There is no access hole behind it.

bell.jpg

You probably have more to get hold of on the one in the block.

Have a large outside diameter nut tig welded onto it . Cool it with air which will shrink it. Then turn it back and forth while pulling or prying it out.

You can also drill a hole in the dowel and tap it with a 1/4 20 tap. You can insert a stud and use a socket over the dowel to allow a nut to slowly pull the dowel out into the socket.

You could drill and tap the pin, thread in a grade 8 bolt and nut. Tighten the nut on the bolt to the pin. Get a can of air ( like used to clean electronics) turn the can upside down and freeze the pin.

drill it, thread it and slide hammer the bolt out. I like the idea of drilling out the back side and just driving it out with a punch.

drill it, thread it and slide hammer the bolt out. I like the idea of drilling out the back side and just driving it out with a punch.
That will work, and I would have done that if I had a slide hammer!

If that dowel is stubborn, I'd be worried about cracking a chunk out of the mounting flange of the bell pounding on it.

I had one that was in a really tight spot once. I ended up making a sacrificial tool out of a short piece of 1/4" flat bar. I drilled a 1/2" hole to go over the pin and drilled and tapped a 1/4" hole on either side to push on the bell surface. Then I just welded the tool to the pin and screwed the 1/4" bolts in a little at a time for each and it pulled right out.

Since you've got access to the back, just heat it up a little and tap it out. It should come out easy.

I had one that was in a really tight spot once. I ended up making a sacrificial tool out of a short piece of 1/4" flat bar. I drilled a 1/2" hole to go over the pin and drilled and tapped a 1/4" hole on either side to push on the bell surface. Then I just welded the tool to the pin and screwed the 1/4" bolts in a little at a time for each and it pulled right out.

Since you've got access to the back, just heat it up a little and tap it out. It should come out easy.
It Did. Came right out...
Thanks Everyone!

-
Back