Removed Column Shifter, but how do I keep it from rotating?

-

Joshua Suehs

Reaction score
Hey everyone! My 73 Swinger has a Promatic Shifter installed (Previous owner) and the column shifter has been removed. The issue is that the column shift still rotates when I drive and makes me need to move it around to get the key out. I also am planning on adding a Tach and that would be a perfect spot, I just don't want my Tach to slowly rotate as I drive either... any answers?

You need to change out the parts on the column to the floor shift pieces. They actually reproduce them now so. I cant remember if its one collar or two that need to be replaced.

You're just talking about the outer sleeve that used to have the column shift lever going to it, correct?

i eventually got tired of it flopping around also and cut it all the way off. It really only revealed a few wires and doesn't look awful. but then again i'm more of a racer, than concourse type guy. i could have probably ground off the shifter handle nub, smoothed it out, painted it, and tapped a few set screws into it to keep it from flopping, but i was like 17 years old when i did it. and at 30...it doesn't bother me enough to find a prettier solution. lol

I drilled a small (1/8") hole through the body and on through the flange of the other collar. Then put a pop-rivet in it. No more rotation :)

I know Brewer's Performance carries the steering column collars for floor shift, at least for some models. I bought them from them for my Charger when I bought the conversion parts to go 4spd. Mine was a '69 though so no ignition in the column.

They might have what you need. Worth checking to see how their prices compare to Mancini.

Hey everyone! My 73 Swinger has a Promatic Shifter installed (Previous owner) and the column shifter has been removed. The issue is that the column shift still rotates when I drive and makes me need to move it around to get the key out. I also am planning on adding a Tach and that would be a perfect spot, I just don't want my Tach to slowly rotate as I drive either... any answers?
Joshua,
You might look at the How to section on here. There's a good Write up on converting a auto to manual column. Just an fyi

Check around. I know several people are selling the collars. Might be able to buy them individually. Im pretty sure you dont need all three, just the back two.
Tony D sells them, probably year one and classic too.

73 Duster. I welded a little piece of flat iron between the shift lever piece and the outer shell on the column.

Column.jpg

Also, FWIW I smoothed my column as per theFABO "How to" articles. SUPER EASY, and turned out great - I have zero body working skills.

Smooth 1.jpg
Smooth 2.jpg
Smooth 6.jpg
Smooth 7.jpg
100_7887.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back