Removing 727 dipstick

-

kiss

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question but I need to know what to expect when I go to remove the dipstick from my 727 this weekend. It's in the car (71 Dart). I am converting my dipstick to the boot seal as described in this thread:

727 dipstick tube boot style

My question is, is there enough room to remove the dipstick? The bend in the dipstick is really close to the firewall, where it curves down under the car, so i'm really concerned that I won't have enough room to pull it straight up. I assume there's some leeway to tilt the dipstick at an angle a bit to get enough room for removal?

My same concern goes for clearance putting the dipstick tube back in after it's been converted to the boot style as shown in the thread. Anyone have issues re-installing them?

Lastly, since I've never done this before, should I expect a bunch of transmission fluid to pour out from the dipstick tube hole? Or just a little bit?

Thanks guys

Lastly, since I've never done this before, should I expect a bunch of transmission fluid to pour out from the dipstick tube hole? Or just a little bit?
Yes drain it first. Learned that the hard way when I was laying under the car and pulled the dipstick. Got showered by a full transmission's worth of fluid.

-
Back