Removing block drain plug

-

carfan

Reaction score
Any one have a suggestion on getting the block drain plug out? I don't want to strip it any more than it is already, but it doesn't want to budge. Tried rapping with a hammer and soaking it with penetrating oil and no luck. I'm also in need of the double belt water-pump pulley for a 225 if any on has one to sell.
Thanks all,
Larry

Put a 1/2 drive breaker bar with a 6 point socket on it and it'll come out.
Either that or snap off flush with the block. :D

heat up the block a bit around it first. It has always worked for me.

Yes, when all else fails, heat it up... I try propane (and propane accessories) first, and if that doesn't free it up, try oxy-acetylene... They will come out...

Also try to tighten it first to break it loose, then back it out...

Yes, when all else fails, heat it up... I try propane (and propane accessories) first, and if that doesn't free it up, try oxy-acetylene... They will come out...

Also try to tighten it first to break it loose, then back it out...
Thanks I'll give it a try it's pretty rounded off and at a bad angel to get any thing on it.

Then use a small pipe wrench and a hammer. It will take you longer but will come out.

Vice grips..... lock 'em on as hard as you can get 'em.

When applying heat, move it around all the time; don't keep it focused on one spot.

Used a tank of propane yesterday and not a budge used PB Blaster and nothing, so need to find a Og tank for my other propane torch and see if that will get it hotter

Weld a short grade 8 bolt to it and then you have a new bolt head to work with. Ive done this a few times. Works great.

A wheel lug nut is undercut, so more room to add weld. I welded one on as a spacer on a custom AC bracket recently and worked great. The drain plug on a slant is 3/8"NPT vs 1/4" on small-blocks and big-blocks, so you should be able to get a big wrench on it.

-
Back