Removing brushed on RUST-OLEUM from axle housing?

-

DavidLee

Reaction score
the PO used black RUST-OLEUM to the axle housing and I want to get it to bare steel. I rather not sandblasting. What paint remover have you found to be effective on RUST-OLEUM?

****. No wire brush will touch it if it was applied right.

Recently, I used a spray can of "Graffiti Remover" to take off some stubborn orange paint on an old cylinder block and cylinder heads-kind of melted the paint off (worth a try?).

The harbor freight in our area carries multiple drill attachments that are very quick and good at removing any finish from any surface. They also have twisted wire wheels that are used in their 4" grinder they sell. Pop the grinder off and spin the wire unit on. High speed and very able to get it off there. Wear safety glasses. All told you could get it for under 15 bucks and have a grinder, wire wheel and corded tool.

i have plenty of grinders. i guess i can see if hf has a more aggressive wire wheel. P was going to give it a epoxy primer coating then shoot it with a single stage black. I would like to powder coat it, but my oven is too small for it.

The ones we use are a 4 inch twisted strand with like 8 or so finger type strand bundles. Flat with a threaded center to spin on to the grinder. It's what we used to strip our housings on our 8.75. They are a single pack, about $5 each. I think they sell a 3 inch one as well. They do shed after time.

Guess they all did it wrong.

Jake

If it comes off with a wire brush they sure did. Rustoleum, ESPECIALLY the hammer tone paints will literally take hammer abuse when applied correctly.....and you can do it correctly with a brush.

Honestly this IMO is an instance of "do it once and do it right". If you take it down to metal using power tools, what's your plan on recoating? Most likely a rattle can, right? Maybe you will actually paint it, I don't know.. I've painted them before, truly it's a waste.

The most lasting way, and the cheapest way is powdercoating. Lasts forever, looks perfect.

Aircraft stripper for removal prob a few applications, if you want a good hard black finish try appliance paint tell you what it is good stuff looks like powder coating and it is a epoxy so it stays on.

rrr is right on the money, I have tried to remove some rustolem hammer finish that was applied as directed. even paint stripper struggled to get that stuff off.

I use hammered paint all the time on the sun machines, it is also epoxy based, have to use xylene to get it off when it is wet, I strip them with the aircraft stripper usually three applications and use a razorblade to get it off, prob a wire brush on a axel.

Torch and a razor scraper?

i tried the wire brush and it was too slow to remove the paint, so I broke out a flapper wheel and the paint flew off/ And its giving the metal a nicer finish thhen the factory had.

IMG_0147.jpg

Looks good and you didn' have to use any nasty strippers or chemicals.

i tried the wire brush and it was too slow to remove the paint, so I broke out a flapper wheel and the paint flew off/ And its giving the metal a nicer finish thhen the factory had.

I got a 6" wire wheel and put it on my 4" grinder to remove road tar and crap from front suspension parts and it flat tears it up.
It's a bit like hold a pissed off badger by the tail, but it sure works if you don't want to remove metal. (next time):D
I like the flap discs too, and removing a bit of metal on what you are doing just makes the surface look better.

I got a 6" wire wheel and put it on my 4" grinder to remove road tar and crap from front suspension parts and it flat tears it up.
It's a bit like hold a pissed off badger by the tail, but it sure works if you don't want to remove metal. (next time):D
I like the flap discs too, and removing a bit of metal on what you are doing just makes the surface look better.
yes i realize that, but the amount i am removing with this flapper is minimal, it is also removing the welding slag from the factory. if this was for arestoration, i would have giving it a chemical dip to keep the original finish.

I hate the nasty stuff but wipe on with bristle good layer of aircraft paint stripper, keeping it wet. et it sit or lay plastic over it. Scraping it off with whatever. I use large wire cup on right angle grinder to clean a lot of metal, but Rustoleum enamel or tractor type enamel is tuff stuff.

I hate the nasty stuff but wipe on with bristle good layer of aircraft paint stripper, keeping it wet. et it sit or lay plastic over it. Scraping it off with whatever. I use large wire cup on right angle grinder to clean a lot of metal, but Rustoleum enamel or tractor type enamel is tuff stuff.

Got 99% of the paint removed, now its time for the small wire brush where the flapper wheel can't reach. Tonight, i will make the trip to Lowes for the appliance paint. By Saturday it should be done. I am replacing the housing studs. The originals have seen better days.

IMG_0148.jpg

yes i realize that, but the amount i am removing with this flapper is minimal, it is also removing the welding slag from the factory. if this was for arestoration, i would have giving it a chemical dip to keep the original finish.

I was agreeing with you about the flap wheel.:D
Didn't know if you realized that.

-
Back