removing console

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
so, im clueless. never had a mopar with a factory console. car in question is a 67 cuda fastback.

how do you remove the console? automatic if that makes things different. need to remove so I can run new wiring to the shifter.

thanks
Michael

Remove two screws on the sides at the front of the console. Remove two screws in bottom of storage compartment under spring loaded door. Remove allen set screw on base of shift knob and unscrew knob. Lift console up and unplug wire loom at shift linkage on drivers side. You may be able to lift the carpet flap and unplug wiring first but those are the steps it took for my 67 BC.

exactly what RR said - - FYI-they are bit cumbersome/back heavy - be careful lifting it out AND putting it back in - they chip/break fairly easily and are expensive to replace.

at the front, do you mean firewall side, or the leg area under the carpeted sides?

thanks. figured it was something simple I was missing.

Set park brake, move shifter to neutral position. Loosen allen set screw in knob base. Rotating knob should screw the button off of the cable inside. If it comes apart you'll find a return spring under the button. If the knob is seized to the cable, forcing it can break the cable. Those cables are reproduced. Good luck

Yep trick as Redfish mentioned is move shifter as it has to come up n over the shifter shaft. Once you've done it once you will remember forever.

Yep trick as Redfish mentioned is move shifter as it has to come up n over the shifter shaft. Once you've done it once you will remember forever.

And be very careful going off and back on through the plastic sliding blind in the bezel. Those are very easily broken. Repoped avail' also

-
Back