Removing Drip Rail Sealant

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I have found an awesome method for removing the Drip Rail sealant.

I took my angle grinder turned it up with a flap disk and had at it. Worked like a champ. Took 90% of it off.

what are u gonna use to re seal ive been wondering what people use to redo it as mine is peeling upand cracked, ive been told about some wonder goo that auto levels?

People on here have suggested seam sealer but when I looked at NAPA it was 18 dollars for a tube. I could not see myself spending 18 bucks knowing I only need a small amount. I am epoxy priming the whole car so I am going to prime then use door and window caulk and epoxy again after it dries.

seam sealer is a good choice i can get 3m in a small tube at my loacal paint store dupont. srry for jacking thread i like the idea i may do that as well with the sealer though,it was only a few bucks

I couldn't find a small tube from any of my parts/paint store so I talked to a one of my backyard builder friends. He and his dad have been building since the late 60's. They have lots of little fixes that they have learned and he is more then willing to pass his info to others.

id be willing to send u the tube of stuff if u wanna do it better its 3m brand had same look after aplied over the old seams in my aspen

I appreciate the offer but I am in the midst of it right now. Roof, cowl, A and B pillars are completely naked right now. I plan on taping and painting tomorrow afternoon.

Use a real, catalyzed, automotive seam sealer. If you don't, you will be repainting the area in a few years.

The last thing you want is shrinkage, poor adhesion, and possible reaction to the solvents in your paint and/or primer.

Saving that $18 could cost you hundreds later. Do it right or don't do it at all.

my offer still stands i could have to u quick and would be more then happy to help a member out u could leave it painted till u get the sealent

63VALIANT let me look around again see if anyone has some seam sealer. I will let you know.

moparspares I have a 65 Barracuda no vinyl top on this one.

I used die grinder with a 2" roloc scotch-brite disk. It eats right through it and gets the edges shiny clean.

I have found an awesome method for removing the Drip Rail sealant.

I took my angle grinder turned it up with a flap disk and had at it. Worked like a champ. Took 90% of it off.

Use a real, catalyzed, automotive seam sealer. If you don't, you will be repainting the area in a few years.

The last thing you want is shrinkage, poor adhesion, and possible reaction to the solvents in your paint and/or primer.

Saving that $18 could cost you hundreds later. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Yep if you buy the cheap stuff you'll be kicking yourself later on. Cheap caulking/sealer WILL crack and shrink over time and allow water to get in between the seams.

I agree with others. Bite the bullet and purchase something like Lord Fusor #129 which is a two-part self leveling seam sealer. It can be tooled and once it cures (quickly) can be sanded, reshaped if necessary. It looks just like the stuff the factory used.

-
Back