Removing inner axle seals in an 8 3/4

-

Rocket

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a trick on how to remove the inner axle seals in the axle tube of an 8 3/4 without a special tool?

Thanks

I used a the type of pry bar that has the hook on the end and just slipped it in behind the seal and locked a set of vice grips on the bar and tunked it with a hammer and out it came. Didn't take much to get it out.

I have used a long pipe and push it out from the other side. This only works when the center unit is out.

Been just using the axle you are taking out.

Pull axle out till it gets to the seal and put the axle end just behind the seal and give it a quick snap on an angle pops out everytime.

Been doing it that way since the 60's no fancy tools back them and learned that from a now gone to Mopar heaven dealer man.

Thanks,

Good ideas guys. Thanks I will give these a try.

Been just using the axle you are taking out.

Pull axle out till it gets to the seal and put the axle end just behind the seal and give it a quick snap on an angle pops out everytime.

Been doing it that way since the 60's no fancy tools back them and learned that from a now gone to Mopar heaven dealer man.

Thanks,
That's what I do too.

Thought I'd offer up a method of removing oil seals that have a steel face about a 1/4" wide showing. Use a punch or a masonry nail to make a small starter hole in the center of that face and run a drywall screw in it. Pull the screw with pliers.Works great on front wheel drive axle seals :)

I had a hell of a time removing mine. The rear end had been sitting in a field for 20 years, but i dont know if that would affect it. I used a slide hammer and it took a little time and a lot of muscle to get them out. But that was the first time ive ever done that, so who knows.

-
Back