Removing Pedal Unit

-

charliec

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to remove the pedals from my '68 Dart so I can complete the cleaning and priming of the interior firewall. It looks to me like I can remove about 4 bolts and take the whole unit out in one piece. Amirite? Anything else to watch out for with taking this out?
Inked20190901_172018_LI - Copy.jpg

I am getting ready to remove the pedals from my '68 Dart so I can complete the cleaning and priming of the interior firewall. It looks to me like I can remove about 4 bolts and take the whole unit out in one piece. Amirite? Anything else to watch out for with taking this out?
View attachment 1715388121

No that's not all. Look at the flange at the firewall. Those four studs go through the firewall. You'll need to remove the four nuts on the outside of the firewall as well in order to remove the pedal assembly.

What to watch for is that over-center spring! There is a lot of stored energy in that spring and the pedal wants to be on the floor.
I am aware of that loaded finger-smasher! Should I pull it up to a stop position and secure it there (i.e. strap it in place) before removing the unit, or leave it on the floor and let it fully relax as the unit comes out?

I am aware of that loaded finger-smasher! Should I pull it up to a stop position and secure it there (i.e. strap it in place) before removing the unit, or leave it on the floor and let it fully relax as the unit comes out?
That is a real good Idea. Use a zip tie.

Take the seat out if your big. 4 bolts...
Of course I took the seat out!
Then covered my body in Crisco, then duct taped the only remaining knee I have, then zip tied a 2x4 to the other leg for safety closed my eyes and dove under the dash. Nowhere to run when the sparks fly and if you flinch and try to get away from the grinder that caught, you then bang your head on the underside of the dash which knocks the face sheild off your head which then jams the trigger down on the grinder as it mercilessly careens into your body as you try and put out your shirt that is now on fire. All the while wondering when was it that you had the brilliant plan to remove the guard for the grinder? Yep, should be a piece of cake under there!

Of course I took the seat out!
Then covered my body in Crisco, then duct taped the only remaining knee I have, then zip tied a 2x4 to the other leg for safety closed my eyes and dove under the dash. Nowhere to run when the sparks fly and if you flinch and try to get away from the grinder that caught, you then bang your head on the underside of the dash which knocks the face sheild off your head which then jams the trigger down on the grinder as it mercilessly careens into your body as you try and put out your shirt that is now on fire. All the while wondering when was it that you had the brilliant plan to remove the guard for the grinder? Yep, should be a piece of cake under there!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Brilliant analysis!!!

DO you have a brake spring tool? That works well. Also, if you go back with a diaphragm style pressure plate, you leave the over center spring OFF.

Push the pedal to the floor, to open up the coils, then stick flatwashers in several coils both sides. Finally pull the pedal off the floor and the spring will practically fall off the pivots. Leave the flatwashers in there cuz if you ever want to reinstall that spring, installing them again is a PITA.

-
Back