Removing Rear Seat Cushions After Hurricane "Norma"

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I removed the lower cushion successfully using the normal procedure: push like hell toward the rear and lift at the same time. But on the '65 convertible models, how does one remove the backrest seat cushion? Thank you. (trying to dry things out after the wind/rain hit here a couple of days ago).

IMG_0030.jpg

What he said!

Get your head down really low and look at the seat bottom.

Screenshot_20231023-190655.png

This is a 67 seat back
Same basic location.

PXL_20231023_163257563~2.jpg

OK thanks. However, come to find out, on my vehicle evidently the previous owner did not attach the seat back anywhere or anyhow.

After reading the posts here, when I tried again I was able to free both sides of the seat back right and left (the plastic seat was kind of stuck to both of the plastic arm rest panel things) by pressing along the edges with my fingers. After that minor task, the seat just lifted right up and out. Nothing hooked on top and those clips on the bottom with the elongated holes are just flopping around loose. It's getting dark now, but tomorrow I will take a second look and determine what the factory installation was like both at the bottom and top.

This is 67 and convert but should be similar.
Red are the hooks.

Green are the bottom where the nuts should hold the seat back on.

Blue you can just see the floor hook for the front of the seat bottom.
PXL_20231024_151823404~2.jpg

Just be careful with the rear interior side panels. They're fragile and very hard to find undamaged.

This is my '65 Valiant Signet convertible rear seat back area. I don't see any hooks on the vehicle frame for the seat back and don't see any hooks on the seat back itself. Weird.

Valiant rear seat 1.jpg

Valiant rear seat 2.jpg

I did find the tabs on the bottom of the seat back, but like I mentioned earlier, they were found just flopping around loose with no fasteners.

Valiant seat back 3.jpg

I found one of these on the floor. It appears to possibly be a tab or hook that at one time was used on the seat back to fit in the slot in the vehicle structure between the seat and the trunk. If so, then both hooks have broken off during the discourse of the last 50 years or so.

seat tab 1.jpg

seat tab 2.jpg

-
Back