removing spider gears 7.25

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I have not ever disassembled a 7 1/4 rear end before (usually you remove them from the car and toss) but I need to remove the spider gears for another member.

Is it much different from a 8.25 ?

can someone describe the steps to removing the spider gears so I don't lose much time messing with this thing?.
@RustyRatRod

So I have not ever disassembled a 7 1/4 rear end before (usually you remove them from the car and toss) but I need to remove the spider gears for another member.

Is it much different from a 8.25 ?

can someone describe the steps to removing the spider gears so I don't lose much time messing with this thing?.
@RustyRatRod
You don't need to remove the spider gears. Slide the axles out, remove the four bolts that hold the carrier caps on then the caps and then pry the whole carrier out. I don't need the ring gear, so you can take that off. I just need the entire carrier assembly, internal gears and all. No need to take it apart. If I remember right, the ring gear bolts are left hand thread.

This is a Dana 30 so I am thinking it's similar.

I guess I will find out real soon here LOL

In order to remove the axles you need to remove the cross shaft and slide the axles in so the C clips can be removed..

In order to remove the axles you need to remove the cross shaft and slide the axles in so the C clips can be removed..
No. The 64 is a green bearing rear axle. It does not have C clips.

This is a Dana 30 so I am thinking it's similar.

I guess I will find out real soon here LOL

That's correct it is very similar. However, if the axles have C clips retaining them instead of the 4 bolt flanges under the axle flanges, that is not the type I need. Just wait until I get some pictures posted tomorrow.

That's correct it is very similar. However, if the axles have C clips retaining them instead of the 4 bolt flanges under the axle flanges, that is not the type I need. Just wait until I get some pictures posted tomorrow
If it is a 7.25 no c clip

If it is a 7.25 no c clip
There's no if. That's what it is. I've had it apart a couple of times in the past. There were some C clip versions later on, this is just not one of them.

There's no if. That's what it is. I've had it apart a couple of times in the past. There were some C clip versions later on, this is just not one of them.
I pulled up an exploded view that showed C clips... Never worked on a 7.25 beyond unbolting one to scrap it...

Chrysler-7.25-Rear.jpg

That looks like an 8.25.

The axle bearing rides on the axle rather than a race so no keeper.

7 1/4"

Screenshot_20240123-195721.png

I pulled up an exploded view that showed C clips... Never worked on a 7.25 beyond unbolting one to scrap it...

View attachment 1716196366
Lets put this to bed. The early 7.25 rears did NOT have C clip retained axles. This rear end is original to my 64 Valiant. I believe the split was going into the 74 model year and that's when they went to C clips. The rear end in the diagram above is clearly an 8.25. Here are pictures of the GREEN BEARING original 7.25 that's under my car. I've been into this unit more than once, I think I know what I have. As @Princess Valiant has not been into one of these before, lets please not confuse her any father. The following pictures are of the early GREEN BEARING style 7.25.

Axle has NO button for a C clip.
DSCF2823.JPG

Axle has a FOUR bolt flange that retains it, since it has GREEN BEARINGS and NO C clips.
DSCF2824.JPG

End of the housing where the FLANGE RETAINED GREEN BEARING AXLE bolts in place.
DSCF2825.JPG

Here is the NINE BOLT early 7.25 housing.
DSCF2826.JPG

Last edited:
I believe the split was going into the 74 model year and that's when they went to C clips
I agree none of this helps the princess.

But I checked rock auto and 7 1/4 up to 84 (diplomat) used a sealed bearing. 8 1/4 uses the roller bearing that rides on the axle shaft and needs the c clip.

And there is no call out for a 7 1/4 c clip till the end of the 7 1/4 in 84 or thereabouts

But I checked rock auto and 7 1/4 up to 84 (diplomat) used a sealed bearing. 8 1/4 uses the roller bearing that rides on the axle shaft and needs the c clip.

And there is no call out for a 7 1/4 c clip till the end of the 7 1/4 in 84 or thereabouts
Then I could be completely mistaken about that split at 74. Thanks. ....and just so we're clear, I appreciate ANY help on this. I simply wanted to clarify what I have and what I am looking for so @Princess Valiant would know.

Not arguing with anyone here, not trying to imply I know anything about it... I have no use or interest in a 7.25 axle... The exploded image I posted was listed as a 7.25, I foolishly believed the heading..

Not arguing with anyone here, not trying to imply I know anything about it... I have no use or interest in a 7.25 axle... The exploded image I posted was listed as a 7.25, I foolishly believed the heading..
It's ok. Like I said, I appreciate any and all help.

So I mentioned in my rally dash thread that I ran out of time on Sunday, and I wasn't able to work in the yard at all on Saturday because I got called into work.

After working on my valiant dash for awhile, I did get this 7.25 rear end out of the car. The 66 barracuda this came out of is half a car so It wasn't safe to work on it under the forklift because any shift in weight would have tipped it over.

So here is the rear end, out of the car and out in the open on the ground.

I think my phone had grease on it or something because I don't know why the pics are cloudy.

20240123_170032.jpg

20240123_170044.jpg

So I mentioned in my rally dash thread that I ran out of time on Sunday, and I wasn't able to work in the yard at all on Saturday because I got called into work.

After working on my valiant dash for awhile, I did get this 7.25 rear end out of the car. The 66 barracuda this came out of is half a car so It wasn't safe to work on it under the forklift because any shift in weight would have tipped it over.

I think my phone had grease on it or something because I don't know why the pics are cloudy.

View attachment 1716196685

View attachment 1716196686
Yup, that looks like the right one.

I am mostly familiar with the earlier 7 1/4's. That said, I have never seen a 7 1/4 with "C" clips.

I am mostly familiar with the earlier 7 1/4's. That said, I have never seen a 7 1/4 with "C" clips.
I've never seen one either, but all the books show it and talk about them. Have you ever seen a ten bolt 7.25? I've seen that....and it MIGHT have had c clips, I don't know, because I didn't open it up. But they have an octagonal cover.

I understand that some vehicles in the '80's Had 7 1/4's that were different than the earlier ones. I have never seen one in person as far as I know.

View attachment 1716196685

View attachment 1716196686
Looks like MaryJane was hangin round :)

1706113681787.png

It was actually warm today and now the sunset isn't till a little later like quarter after 5.

I went to the yard straight from work, and I got the rear cover off and drained the oil. That stuff is pretty strong, but I don't mind it as long as it doesn't get all over everything.

The caps look just like engine main caps and those bolts were really on there. It looks a cleaner in there than I was expecting.

20240124_163840.jpg

20240124_164825.jpg

20240124_165120.jpg

I understand that some vehicles in the '80's Had 7 1/4's that were different than the earlier ones. I have never seen one in person as far as I know.
I'm pretty sure that the Chrysler Fifth Avenue cars had a weird version of the 7 1/4" axle. It had 3" axle tubes, 10" drum brakes and crazy tall gears, like a 2.21 or something close to it. The Diplomat and Gran Fury shared the same body style but the Police cars in those models used an 8 1/4.

ok pry that centre out

normally you would flex the case but a pry bar will ping it out along with its beraimgs and shims

stand center it in a vice with the bolt heads upwards

and undo the bolts that hold both parts of the centre together (not the bolts for the ring gear)

take off the top half bits will fall out

don't loose any little dowels that old the cross pin in place

pull off the spider gears and any cupped shim washers

whether its an open centre a cone centre or a clutch centre there is nothing much in there and its all pretty obvious once you see....

id normally try to keep my side gears and spider gears together...

side gears that have smashed spider gears will be marred by the incident so a complete set is a better bet.

Job done

possibly easier just to sell the whole centre with or without ring and pinion which again should be kept as a pair, preferably greased to stop the rust.

Dave

Last edited:
-
Back