Removing the oil filter plate from a small block (pics added for EL5demon340)

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips?
I have a 6 point 1 inch socket, ground flat to grip better but she is not budging

The small block is installed in a 71 duster, with dougs headers

Thanks guys

Do you mean for the angle adpater? I have a long closed end wrench that I use that gives me more leverage or try a breaker bar with a pipe on the end

No, a regular one
It is a small pipe with a a 1 inch nut cast onto it
But the nut is only about 1/16 thick

No, a regular one
It is a small pipe with a a 1 inch nut cast onto it
But the nut is only about 1/16 thick

the plate...you can use a 3/8 drive ratchet with an extension....the square end goes right into the plate bolt

oh, and I totally killed the thread on it (trying to get it off with a pair of vice grips) so if someone has a part number on one of those or could tell me where to get one, that would be great

Well, if you already boogered it up, lock some vice grips on the threads, and hit it with a hammer. Or maybe a pipe wrench will do it. I've heard of people that had to cut around the plate that that center bolts holds on. It relieves pressure, and the bolt will come out.

tried the vice grips and hammer, didn't do the trick
I'm not sure if I can get the plate itself cut with the headers on, but maybe I can put a screwdriver in the holes and pry it back?

oh, and I totally killed the thread on it (trying to get it off with a pair of vice grips) so if someone has a part number on one of those or could tell me where to get one, that would be great

Mancini racing sells them:

Here it is seperate, but a bit $$$:

http://www.manciniracing.com/moenoilfimof.html

Or it also comes in the block freeze plug and hardware kit with a new plate which seems to be a better bang for the buck if you can use the extra parts...

http://www.manciniracing.com/moparengine.html

tried the vice grips and hammer, didn't do the trick
I'm not sure if I can get the plate itself cut with the headers on, but maybe I can put a screwdriver in the holes and pry it back?

It's gonna be a b!tch to get to with out the headers, much less with them...

That's what's on mine and all I have seen. 3/8" drive into the square center.

Does yours have the nut cast on aswell?

I did manage to order a new study from the dealer, should be 3/4-16 on both sides correct ?

most mopars I have seen have the thin hex on the outside, cuz the square on the inside is a restriction-usually seen on fords-a trick I have found on anything tight is try tightening it a little first, then go counterclockwise. spray the thing clean of oil with brake clean, clean the socket, tap the adapter in with a hammer if there is room

This is all I have ever seen on the SB oil filter plate. They are usually tight so if they did have thin flats on there I would still use the square 3/8" drive to turn it out first.
http://www.manciniracing.com/moenoilfimof.html

I've seen the one that the OP's talking about with the thin depth hex on the outside. I hate those f*ckers as there isn't enough meat on the hex to get them off if they are tight... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Some of the newer ones have a deeper hex than the old ones..

Got it out, I ended up using the vice grip and a guy from my gym

ill post pics of the new one tomorrow, but for now, here is what I pulled of off there

yeah, that is right. I could usually get a socket on there. make sure you get all the old gasket out, its usually painted block color and you can look it over real easily.

-
Back