Replaced factory temp gauge with another one.......

-

kaytbugsdad

Reaction score
Found out after testing the old temp gauge that it was bad (IVR was smoked, had 13 volts going to the gauges instead of 5!!!), replaced it with a good tested unit (Thanks Tony!!!) and an IVR I built (cost me $12 from Radio Shack, SOLID 5 VOLTS!!!). Temp gauge works as it should now, but now no GAS gauge!!!! Wondering if that gauge is dead as well.......

Well like you say, the 13 volts went to all the gauges, so the fuel gauge could also be smoked. Did your car have the IVR built into the fuel gauge?

I bought an extra used gauge panel, and the resistance across my gauge coil is about 23 ohms. I'm not sure this is factory correct. But if the resistance across your gauge is very high or very low, then you might have a problem.

Mine had the separate IVR, so building the replacement was easy......Got the directions from allpar.com, works like it should...... Guess I'm gonna find a gas gauge.......

Depending on year model, the fuel gauge will read either 20 ohms or 13.5 ohms from post to post.
The extra 3 ohms reported in a post above must have been in the meter leads. Always put the leads together and zero the meter first. Anyway... If the gauge tests good the fault has to be elsewhere. Contact pin broken away from circuit board is just 1 example of how fixing one fault causes another. All these parts are old and have always been somewhat fragile. Good luck

-
Back