Replacement 68 340 four speed cams

-
Hello all, I only had three truly interested parties and unfortunately that's not enough to get this project started. I'd like to get it going but it's not worth while for Jim and I to be able to even achieve a break even point. Blank cam core costs have risen over the past year so that puts us even further into how many need to be interested. I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance.
What are you looking at for retail cam prices?

What if I had a 78 LRE core with a bad lobe, could this be reground back to original?
Yes
What if I had a 78 LRE core with a bad lobe, could this be reground back to original?
Yes, but the base circle would be reduced so...custom length push rods may be in order unless the valve train was switched to adjustable. It would be best to take a blank core and grind new to maintain stock components if stock is the goal.

I'll find out the price increase of cores and get back to you.
Good morning and sorry for the delay. The blank core price went up $10 so it would be $255 plus shipping w/o lifters. We'd need to sell in the 50+ to make it worth while. If I can get 25 committed buyers up front, I'll front the cost of masters and cores, rolling the dice that 25 more will be sold over time. Start the list with a reply. If we get to 25, I'll start asking for payment. I'm glad folks are still interested.

if it’s an American made stick I’m in for one possibly two
Good morning and sorry for the delay. The blank core price went up $10 so it would be $255 plus shipping w/o lifters. We'd need to sell in the 50+ to make it worth while. If I can get 25 committed buyers up front, I'll front the cost of masters and cores, rolling the dice that 25 more will be sold over time. Start the list with a reply. If we get to 25, I'll start asking for payment. I'm glad folks are still interested.

The reason it didn't take off is because Oregon Cam already grinds the cam. I think it was ONE DEGREE off or some such. They are either 169 or 179 so a better price point. Nobody's against what yall are doing and I in fact applaud it. We need all the outlets we can get. But Ken has this grind readily available and if you have a good core, then it's only 89 to grind on your core. You don't have to meet a minimum amount for that price.

The reason it didn't take off is because Oregon Cam already grinds the cam. I think it was ONE DEGREE off or some such. They are either 169 or 179 so a better price point. Nobody's against what yall are doing and I in fact applaud it. We need all the outlets we can get. But Ken has this grind readily available and if you have a good core, then it's only 89 to grind on your core. You don't have to meet a minimum amount for that price.
Are they usa made blanks?

Yes. All US made and with a new core...not a regrind.
Point evidence where a regrind is the devil. Chrysler cores according to Ken Heard are hardened almost to the center of the core. I've talked to several (more than five) cam grinders and they all say there's no one in this country making new cores. So either you're mistaken, or you know something no one else in the industry does.

Point evidence where a regrind is the devil. Chrysler cores according to Ken Heard are hardened almost to the center of the core. I've talked to several (more than five) cam grinders and they all say there's no one in this country making new cores. So either you're mistaken, or you know something no one else in the industry does.
Clay Smith claims his blanks are USA made. Personally I am not educated in any of this, so who knows who’s right
He also says he can cut a 68 cam if you have the specs

Curious, how much can a regrind increase in duration and lift say on this cam
Advertised
Intake duration 276
Intake like ft 498
Exhaust duration 286
Exhaust lift 512
LSA 113.5
Interested in more intake duration

Just picked up 3 cams from Racer Brown at Carlisle this year. Never mentioned a he had a blank shortage. Of course he probably doesn't sell as many or has a larger stash.

Just picked up 3 cams from Racer Brown at Carlisle this year. Never mentioned a he had a blank shortage. Of course he probably doesn't sell as many or has a larger stash.
I've spoken with Delta Cams and he said they don't have a problem with cores, either.

I have a question here, from what I can find out the 340 4 speed cam isn't much bigger than a automatic 340 cam. .015" on the intake .009" on the exhaust, 8* more duration on both the intake and exhaust, with 6* less duration at.0.050" for the intake and exhaust. And by using a ivc calculator it would have to have a 116* lsa to get ivc at 70*. If this is true, then I don't understand how the 340 4 speed cam is a more aggressive cam.

I have a question here, from what I can find out the 340 4 speed cam isn't much bigger than a automatic 340 cam. .015" on the intake .009" on the exhaust, 8* more duration on both the intake and exhaust, with 6* less duration at.0.050" for the intake and exhaust. And by using a ivc calculator it would have to have a 116* lsa to get ivc at 70*. If this is true, then I don't understand how the 340 4 speed cam is a more aggressive cam.
You had to ride in one back then to feel the difference.

Less duration at .050, where are you finding that info?

I'm interested in having one for the shelf, however.

With shipping, this is close to $300 for an hydraulic camshaft.

Is this such a Holy Grail camshaft, or end all be all that a mild modern day camshaft for much less can't accomplish ?

What say you ?

I will buy one if Racer Brown makes them from the original blueprints. .
My question is, with the lift and duration only being a little more than the 340 automatic cam, what makes this cam so special?

My question is, with the lift and duration only being a little more than the 340 automatic cam, what makes this cam so special?
It's bigger than the automatic cam and it was only used for a short time. You may (or may not) be able to tell the difference with a "seat of the pants" dyno.

It's bigger than the automatic cam and it was only used for a short time. You may (or may not) be able to tell the difference with a "seat of the pants" dyno.
0.015 lift and 8* more duration make that much more of a difference? Just asking

Nothing, just a nice all around street cam. I am not impressed with new whizbang stuff. I like stuff I know works. There is a lot more to cams than numbers...

-
Back