Replacement 68 340 four speed cams

-
Ancient thread but here goes...

Camshaft Machine Corp in Michigan is one of the largest suppliers of cam cores in the world and they supply cores to virtually every aftermarket grinder in America (plus every OEM). Look for the CMC cast into your core.

Regrinding takes material off more material off of the heel of the lobe than the top of the lobe to gain lift.

David Vizard uses his "128" cam program to choose a cam. He is on youtube.

A lopey idle by itself is a poor way to choose a cam.

I'm still trying to get enough interest generated to get the masters made off of my blueprints and a original. I may just have masters made and go from there.

I'm still trying to get enough interest generated to get the masters made off of my blueprints and a original. I may just have masters made and go from there.

I like the idea of getting the "Masters" made and go from there.

Let me know if there is something I can do to help.

Thanks for your efforts.

George Jets

☆☆☆☆☆

I'm "cam"inally challenged, so to speak/slur. These were one of the "best " sb factory mopar cams correct? My 340 build will have oem 273 adjustable rockers and I would like to go solid flat tappet.
By doing this, how(if any) will this alter the cams "performance"? Will the cam specs need changing to a solid?
Thanks
Back in the day, this WAS a pretty good factory cam.
But, IMO, Today, for street performance, you can do better; unless yur just after the sound, but then you would also need the 340 exhaust.

Last edited:
I don't think it would be too hard today to have them made up. Too bad my EX son-in-law works in a cnc shop, but like I said my X son-in-law.
They were a great cam, lots of rpm.

The factory was limited with cam choice with annoying things.....like emission requirements, vacuum, idle quality, restrictive [ quite ] exh system etc.
These restraints are not applicable for the hot rodder, so a factory cam is most unlikely to be the best choice. Sure, it will 'work', but a better performing cam will cost the same.....

The wide LSA isn't necessarily a bad thing. It allows for a high vacuum signal to operate accessories like power brakes, gives decent street manners and also a much more flat torque curve and usually a good bump in bottom end torque compared to a tight LSA like 108 for instance, which would have a more peaky torque curve at the expense of some bottom end torque. It's not a bad thing, it's just different.

As long as any cam you buy gives the same exhaust note would be ok!

-
Back