Replacement Upper Ball Joints fitment

-

Otateral

Reaction score
Hello, I'm having trouble installing new upper ball joints. After a tremendous time working on getting the old ones out, I've managed it. Ready to install the new ones and running into a problem. There's a ridge on the rubber boot attached to the ball joint. This ridge is too large to fit through the hole in the upper control arms. Can this be shaved off with an exacto knife? Looks to be about 1.5 mm diameter ring ridge around the boot itself.

I know, this thread is worthless without pictures. Hoping someone's experienced this themselves, and can tell me what to do.

Can't you just pull off the rubber boot and run it in and put the boot back on?

Could. Was worried that I might not be able to get it to seal back up again afterwards. It's on there fairly tight. Is that standard procedure?

Yep, lol. I just meant the stuck spindle situation and the special socket for the top, and dragging my air compressor over. All in all, been covered in grease and sweat for 4 hours. Lol

Just wanted to make sure, some folks have pressed them out only to find out after the fact.

Yes, pull the boot to install the ball joint. You can use a piece of plastic PVC pipe or a socket that fits the outer lip of the boot & tap it back on with a hammer....

Just out of curiosity.. What brand of ball joint is this ?

-
Back