Replacing Federal pump with Saginaw pump?

-

wanahemi

Reaction score
Need some help. My 68' Dart (340 w/ a/c) federal p/s pump just went out. Can't find a replacement. Has anyone replace one with a Saginaw pump? Found some bracket kits on jimautoparts.com., but not sure if they would work. Guessing the hose and pulley would be different also.

You'll need the brackets and Pump at very least. I believe there are two Saginaw pump/pulley combinations, Pressed on or keyed with a nut. I do not know if this year dependent. So you need the pulley to match the pump.

Rock Auto shows Federal Pumps available.

I've seen the 69' federal pump is still available. Anyone knows if this bolts up without major modifications?

When in doubt rebuild it. have you checked out rebuild kits? I rebuilt mine, but it was almost twenty years ago, LOL!

I remember it was just a bunch of seals and O-rings. You also have to clean and inspect the parts, look for any deep scratches and gouges that

may be a sealing problem. A hydraulic pump is all it really is. There is also steering box seals and rebuild kits also.

I was able to get a federal pump from Napa just last year. Took 3 pumps to get one that didn't leak, though. Post a pic, I'm wondering if all SB pumps are the same for the different years

Anyone know the different applications for the pumps? What came on what, and what years? Just curious myself!
no rhyme or reason as to which pump went where. During the mid-60s to early 70s they were both installed on any engine, any year.

FWIW: As I searched around for a FirmFeel box on cop cars, all were equipped with a Saginaw pump.

Welcome, I'm going through the same issues. Decided to change PS pump with minor leak while changing out water pump. Ordered one from Rock Auto, Federal style. Mechanic pulley off the pressed fit pulley off my old one. Went to put the pulley on the new Federal and found the shaft size was different (new .633, old .688) So old pump was a 3/4 hole diameter fit, new one a 5/8 fit. Also back screw hole didn't line up, so had to cut and weld bracket to fit new pump. Tough to find 5/8" pulley press fit. Eventually bought one through Summit (March), aluminum $80. It's 7" diameter vs. old one 5". Had it pressed on. Have to put bracket on and bolt up as 7" is too wide to get bolt through. If I had to do it again (I hope I don't) would go to "counter" Napa, Autozone, Oreilly's and make sure it all matched up. Napa shows one with a pulley/pump combo. Called them, it's discontinued. You may just want to have yours rebuilt. Good luck.

Firm Feel sells rebuilt units. Rock Auto sells rebuild kits for do-it-yourself-ers as I'm sure most auto parts shops do.

Just got an email reply from Firm Feel and they do R & R only on pumps because they do not have cores. I found a rebuilt 70' unit w/pulley & brackets on ebay. My old pump is the same as 68dartdude. The shaft looks bigger. When the ebay unit arrives, I'll update progress.

A related question. Will the 69 steering pump bolt up to a 1970 and later small block engine with the revised timing cover and water pump using the 1970 and up pump brackets? Wondering if I can make this work or if I need the 1970 up pump and hoses to match the bracket placement.

Just to add two additional cents here. I bought a Cardone (Federal rebuild) pump from Rockauto last year. Just got around to putting it in. Defective/stripped threads. Didn't want to wait for shipping on a new. Found one at Napa. Defective/does not pump. Ugh. Does anyone make a decent p/s pump these days?

-
Back