Replacing the Floor Pans

-

joeboy

Reaction score
My front floor pans are rusty and gotta come out... I got the new pans from Yearone and would like to put them in over the next 2-3 weeks. I am looking for advice or hints on the best way to cut the old ones out, and get the new ones trimmed up, and welded in. I have a sawzall, a pneumatic cutoff wheel, and a small welder... HELP!

Butt weld them. Overlapping will create an area for rust to start.

Removal is easy with an air chisel.

I have complete pans available for less than the year one parts.

do you have early a pans? thanks for the advice on how to weld them. i cant wait to put in new floors and subframe connectors. its going to be like a whole new car.

While you are at it: No one seems to see that the floor pan has to be pushed down onto the lateral and long unibody subframe, which are open at the top, relying on the thin floor for strength, at the top.
If you weld 16 gauge on top of them, the pans fit perfect, and you have more strenght than before. Almost like a real frame.

Thanks for all the help... I am gonna look for a spot weld cutter, and maybe borrow a pneumatic air chisel, so I can start the madness.

Good info here. I might add one thing. If you're using a plasma cutter to remove the old pans, make sure you know where your fuel line is. DAMHIK!!

Harbor freight= spot cutter, $5 and it lasts. And their grinder, with cut-off blades- lasts. Hand chisel works after that.
Just go underneath, and drill holes up at all important areas, then draw lines. Then cut. Support with stands, level, before you start.

-
Back