Reproduction parts store reviews

-

H22A4

Does anyone read this?
Reaction score
Last Fall I decided it was time to give the Scamp some TLC which meant getting some metal work done to it. My interior is mint so I didn't need to get many goodies for the inside except the odd screw for trim pieces, radio, radio bezel and sill plates. Since the car is gettig new quarters, etc and a complete paint job, I stipped out the interior and everything on the outside including the weatherstripping before taking it down to the body shop.

I live in Canada so there's not a lot in the way of selection unless ordering from the States and then rolling the dice with Canada customs.

Major purchases were:

Weatherstripping (everything from roof rail, wiper pivot seals, door handles gaskets, lock gaskets, windshield/rear window, trunk, rad support to hood, body bumpers, body plugs, window channel wiskers, etc)

Stickers (jack instructions, tire pressure, engine emission, coolant, dealership sticker, etc)

Moulding clips, wheel well trim, hood insulation, and other small stuff (I should just insert my spreadsheet of all the items...)

And the metal (both rear quarters, trunk floor and front fenders, etc).

All the metal except the fender I got locally through Gasoline Alley which saved me a lot since I didn't have to pay shipping. The rest I of the bits I either sourced thru:

1) Wildcat Wreckers
2) Laysons
3) E-body parts
4) Steele Rubber
5) Penstar Reproductions

I drove down to Wildcat to pick up the fenders and a few other bits and stopped by Laysons on the way back across the border. Since my g/f wanted to do some shopping in the Seattle area about a month later, we stopped by Laysons a second time to get some other stuff that I had added to my list in the mean time.

Eveything I couldn't get from Laysons in person (ie: that they didn't have in stock) I was going to get from other places thru the mail. But I was only going to order from places that had the items I needed in stock since I didn't want to wait months for back ordered items.

So I started with the The Paddock since I've heard great things about them. When I called to ask if they had any of the dozen or so items I was looking for, they had nothing in stock!
So I called up E-body Parts and ordered the half dozen items they had in stock. The items arrived soon after and shipping was reasonable (and it didn't get snagged by customs!).
I then called Penstar for the remaining half dozen items and they had all but one item in stock so I ordered everything and had them ship everything but the one item. It's still on back order but I'm not in a rush (and it's a $10 item so I'm not going to lose sleep if it's permanently on back order). Shipping was quick and reasonable.
Last place was Steele Rubber for a couple of weatherstripping bits no one else carried. They shipped the items out the next day and shipping again was reasonable.

I'd have to say that my parts buying hunt was a success and figured I'd pass along my reveiws of the various shops.

I am happy to hear you are able to get the parts you need (in Canada). It must be really hard for you guys.

Personally, I would have to think LONG AND HARD before I'd buy from Laysons. Several items I got from them (took FOREVER to get) and then they didn't really match my old stuff I was wanting to replace. I ordered a tan distributor cap from them 3 months before the Mopar Nats in Columbus, Ohio, last year, and I STILL DON'T HAVE IT........

Doesn't year one have most everything in stock? It seemed like they did, but there was some other issue like high shipping or something.

I have heard enough about Laysons to know that I would likely drive there in person, even though they are some distance away.

Sounds good. I am after really mundane items like body plugs etc right now.

I'll have to get some surfing done here shortly.

Thanks guys, ROB

good to hear this kind of thing, im in new zealand and about to rebuild a 69 dart we just purchased, I guess we are lucky enough that we have an address in the states that we can get stuff shipped to and then it gets sent down here with groups of other peoples stuff to save on shipping. The main problem we have down this way is that people dont think you are serious when you contact them via email because of our location so its good to find out the right people to deal with.

-
Back