Reserve fuel tank?

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
At some point in the not too far distant future I would like to put a 5 gallon reserve tank on the flat spot in the trunk right behind the rear seat and put an electric valve (normally closed) between that and the existing tank to dump from the reserve tank to the main.
I would like it to be about 4-5 inches high, 36 or so wide and about 18 inches deep front to back and preferably aluminum.
At my hiway mpg this would give me an approximate 450 mile range between fill ups on long trips.
Anyone know of a good source for something like this?

Tank you.:D

That's where I mounted my battery.

You can probably get a flat bottom 5 gallon cell from about anywhere. I like aluminum cells myself. I had one made for my circle track car for 150$. They do not make an off the shelf one to fit in this compartment so I had no choice. 150$ was really fair though I thought.

Frame 2.jpg

I think I once saw a pancake tank made to fit right in the spare-tire well; if that helps.It wasn't that long ago.

They still make them. Big big $$$$$$$

Here's an option for the OP. Hot rod city garages sells factory repro tanks with or without the spare tire well cutout. They are aluminum. I use one of them. They are so nice.

I think I once saw a pancake tank made to fit right in the spare-tire well; if that helps.It wasn't that long ago.
Don gould @ 4seconds flat was the only place i remember seeing them advertised.

That sounds like a great idea. If you get it all worked out, keep us posted.

Keepers cats, Greg! Taking you long enough!!! :poke:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/close-one-today.241981/

I for one am gonna put a 22 gallon 69-70 mudstain EFI tank from tanks inc. in my Duster. If I get 22 mpg highway that'll give me a 480+ mile range. That'd be 60 miles more than our '16 200 which is getting 27 mpg highway on the trip we're on right now

Last edited:
So I took the liberty of doing a little math. It looks like you are making about 19.5mpg. Does that sound right? Just curious.

Last 2 trips I made was 25 mpg at 85-90mph.
My tank is 13 gallons.

well , during the gas shortage of 1970's my father and uncle where making reserve tanks and installing them as well . there was a chrysler electric switcher valve that switched fuel n vents , but sending units as well . i think it was for duel tanked trucks . they made a 11 gal tank that filled with the oem tank on an amc gremlin . and put a charge flip cap on the quarter panel top of a giant gm buick . but if the spare tire was under the package shelf and a gas tank was in the round , it would hold more fuel . trunk floor would be flat the spare could sit on the passager side of the trunk floor like , b and c body rags do .

-
Back