restored a wwood rim blow steering wheel

-

1970b5swinger

1970B5SWINGER
Reaction score
picked upa cracked rimblow from my sons friend for 20 dollars because he had no use for it, forgot to take before pictures,but it had 5 cracks the widest being a 1/4 inch,, the rubber horn switch is bad and the cheapest I have found is 189 dollars, I checked in to having someone restore but the cost was 250 and up depending on what needed to be done, so I figured if I could tackle the job myself, I know the second one would go easier this was a lesson, first I went to O'Reillys and picked a small can of dyna glass and a can of bondo fiberglass resin mixed small amounts of each 1 to 1 thouroughly then add a small amount of the cream hardner mixed it then applied enough into each crack making shure they were all full,note leave the chrome strip on the side of the wheel there as it makes it easier not to have to clean the groove later,also tape off the spokes so none will get on those,let the resin set for a while, I let mine set for 4 hrs, then it will take some sanding but not bad,tape off 1 half of the wheel at a time and prime with a filler primer to fill in imperfectionsI used a nice brown paint for the wood and gloss black for the back side, then I removed the chrome stripe and replaced it,anyway this can be done for about 30 dollars total cost---Resins were 20 dollars, paint 5 dollars ,tape 1 dollar and the chrome strip off ebay was 6 dollars shipped, beats the heck out of spending a lot of money and doesn't look to bad to me.

steering wheel resto 002.jpg

steering wheel resto 005.jpg

steering wheel resto 006.jpg

Nice job, mine has a large crack in it @ the 2:00 P.M. position which I'd like to fix.
I priced sending these out to be be reconditioned and it's a bit steep in price. It'll have to wait till later.

Looks really good! Sure beats spending almost $200 or even more, plus it always feels better when you did it yourself. Well done!!

hey GTS I now have a 50 dollar wheel,working on fabricating the horn button will post pictures of this as well,I got the horn button in pieces minus the 1 that holds the rubber to the metal back plate,cheap made item, so I am going aluminum with real allen head bolts,this project wasn't that hard and actually was a stress release,and it will be going in the 70 swinger, I just like the looks even though they are a bit big,the ring mentioned earlier that is missing, i got a price quote yesterday for 120 crazy so again I will tackle this on my own,I even tossed the idea of painting the wood part of the wheel B5 blue, just to be different but was afraid to go that far

thinking of using aluminum for the horn button retainer plate, just haven't figured out a good easy clean way of doing it,any ideas

dart update 001.jpg

dart update 006.jpg

dart update 003.jpg

dart update 008.jpg

dart update 002.jpg

-
Back