Restoring interior plastics looks like new.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I did some looking around the net to see if there was any good reason I can't/shouldn't use bedliner as an undercoat since I have some around from other projects.
Well, come to find out, Napa has an online instructional for doing exactly this.

While checking this out I found another article from Napa that shows how to repair plastic panels with cracks and even more to the point how to use bedliner to reproduce texture normally on interior panels.
Since a lot of our cars have hard to find and expensive interior panels, I though it would be good to put this out there.

Busted! How to Fix Broken Plastic Trim - NAPA Know How

Here's a pic from the article showing a finished panel that was cracked and sun baked to the point a lot of the texture was even gone.
I sort of pride myself on knowing chemicals and products that work for certain projects and have used these products for other uses, but can see how this would work really well for renewing plastic interior parts.
The one thing I disagree with is using epoxy for fixing cracks, as I much prefer Locktite's 15 minute setup time 2 part JB weld type stuff as it's not nearly susceptible to re cracking like epoxy
Have fun saving a bunch of cash and ending up with parts that look like new.

panel.jpg

I used a similar technique to repair some interior parts. I crumpled up some Reynolds Wrap and added some simulated graining before the epoxy hardened. Herb's interior paint was very easy to work with and they sell a variety of colors.

-
Back