Restoring my 1970 Duster

-

grautiere

Reaction score
Hi there,
now I think it´s time to give you some more pics from my Duster, which arrives my in january.
First I made an inspection, what is wrong at the car and I must say, more than I thought at the first views at the pics ( see welcome garage ), my son sent me before he bought the car near Chicago.
The guy who sold the car said ... something is wrong with the flashers, wipers and steering - car wouldn´t do straight on, the front tires are bad and a little rust underside the car, engine had a bad iddle - that sounds like a little bit work for some weeks to bring that car back to the streets.
First inspection by me brings the following:
flasher + wipers doesn´t work,
electricity under dash is highly dangerous, beause of some cables looked like after cable fire,
some switches under the dash are taped -> I don´t know what they should do,
Car wouldn´t go straight on, because the front wheels were not adjusted,
engine doesn´t start, because choke doesn´t work -> there was a small letter inside the car : " Let the ashtry open while starting because it´s the choke -> he means the cable between ashtray and carb -> that should open the choke !
underside is rusty on drivers + passenger side, also in trunk,
over that rust he put a sheet metal and coverd it with silicone around,
on passenger side he worked with glasfiber... but directly on the rust,
speedometer was not fixed, it hangs between dash + Steering column,
radiator ist too big for that car and so only fixed with 2 screws on upper side,

I can´t believe, that someone drove that car in U.S. - that was dangerous for him and the whole traffic around him !

So after a little bit steam under dash while I tryed to start the engine I decided : That will be a car, that needs a whole restoring. First I cut all cables, put a new carb on the engine, gave the coil and starter a new +12V and tryed it again to hear, if the engine run´s smooth or not.
Engine runs after the third try and sounds good, trans I could´n check so.

More pics soon.
Peter

Attachments

• Armaturenbrett.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,863
  • Kabelbrand.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,835
  • rusty drivers side.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,844
  • whole electricity cuted.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 1,845
Now I´m on the way to put the whole car in parts to overhaul it.
That car will get a complete overhaul for a good run in the next 40 years !

Doors, Quarterwindows, seats and interior are out, also front fenders.
Front and rear window incl. weatherstrip there looks good, may be I can rescue them.

The next was put out the engine last week, now it´s out of the car ( I was not sure what it is, but now I know is´s a 318). While waiting for the sheet metal for the floors + trunk, I will remove the heads and freeze pluges, clean it and give new gaskets to it.... may be a little bit porting to the heads !?
Also I must remove the transmission. The car had original a 3 speed on the floor and were changed to an auto trans some years ago... the shifter for that looks like built from a 10 year old child... crazy !

Because of that that will be a complete restauration the car will get a new face and color - in the www I´d found the Duster from Kenny Wayne Shepherd - that look is what I like !!! two tone, black and metallic - absolutely nice.

But before painting the car, it seems to be a lot of work is nessesary.

Greetings from Leipzig, Germany

Attachments

• Seite vorn links.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,820
  • Fahrerseite.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,828
  • drivers side.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 1,826
  • auf´m Motorständer.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,828
  • Bodenblech Beifahrerseite.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 1,817
  • clutch pedal.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 1,816
  • Duster- K.W. Shepperd.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 3,655
You did the right thing. I would have ripped all of that wiring mess out from under the dash also....

I agree with va58. Rip it all out and start fresh.In the end you'll have no worries. Keep us posted. We'll be watching. :coffee2:

Hi,

I know how you feel about that wiring brother. My Duster was the same way. Hacked, taped and bare end dangling everywhere. I think one of the prior owners must have got a deal on blue wire, because everything he did seems to have been done with blue wire. :banghead:

Look forward to following your progress,
Pat

This is an exciting build, we've seen how you guys in Germany roll, you really know how to restore them!

Hi to you !
New´s are aviable : the glasfiber is out of the car...now I can see the floor of my garage clearly when I look into the car ! The half of the trunk "lives" from glasfiber and coating, now I can see directly to the inside of the frame there, left side is now without sheet metal !!! Also the point, where the shakles hang is very rusty, so I have to build a new one.
After put out the gas tank I have decide, it´s easier to build in a new floor into the trunk which should include the gas tank where the whole for the 5th tire was, than restore the trunk originaly... may be I took the gas tank from another ( german )
car or from race after market.
Pics will come soon.

Good luck on your project! Rust in the trunk is pretty typical - especially for a '70 since they tend to leak around the tail lights.

Thanx for the good wishes -I think I need them more & more,
new pics from the trunk and inside sheet metal area....
the man who sold the car means: there´s a little bit rust in trunk and it´s coated with glasfiber... see at the pics, what he means :

- the first 2 pics show the floors on passenger side
- the next 3 pics shows the trunk area before and after cutting the middle part

I can´t believe, that this car was driving around the streets ago.
Why can´t this guys have a look under the car and inside the trunk after raining days ? :violent1:
I have seen it also by my Ford Mustang, one of the problem zones is inside the car at passenger side, because of most of the heaters lost water - so rust wil come quickly! OK, most of this men had use the cars as a daily car and lost the view to it as a part of the american auto history, so thats a pity ( for the cars).
Thats a luck for the right mechanic (to get these cars for some bucks - ok, with a lot of work on it ).

Sheet metal is orderd for the inside floors, let´s have a look, how long does it takes from US to Germany...

Greets
Peter

Attachments

• floor panel pass side back.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 1,724
  • floor panel pass side front.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 1,701
  • old trunk floor and frame.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,725
  • floor panel trunk.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,700
  • trunk floor out.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1,719
I have seen guys start with far worse. Looks like you have a good start and plenty off good steel to work with. Hopefully it won't take too long for your floors to get there. Hope you ordered new wiring also. Keep up the good work.:coffee2:

Yes, wiring will be complete new - I will order this from ez-wiring, because I had a good experience with that.
For my 1956 F100 I´d took this as a 12 circuit set for a good price ( painless wiring is much more expensive than ez-wiring !)

Peter :wave:

Hi there,

a long is time gone between my last posts, so such things were done:

floor paneel passanger side was welded in,
small rust pieces outside was cut out and new sheet metal pieces were welded in, trunk floor is "like" new, but I used a new gastank from a 65-Mustang, not the original one. I think thats better, because of the trunk is even with this...look at the pics.
Engine is put in pieces and has new colour, I think the orange combinated with a black colour will bring a good look at the end.
I will put it together after changing the freeze plugs and cleaning the water lines between the cylinders.
Backlight´s are overhault and got a seperate hole for the turn lights - this is law in Germany for cars after 1969, that turn signal lights light separatly from the brake lights...
Next will be to turn the car, so that I can work on the drivers side floor paneel ( my garage is too small ! ).

next informations for you came soon.
Greetings from Leipzig, Germany and have a good easter time !

Peter

Attachments

• my garage.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 1,581
  • Rücklicht1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,589
  • Rücklicht2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 1,579
  • 100D3776.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 1,600
  • 100D3775.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 1,619
  • 100D3766.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,611
  • 100D3767.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,576
  • floorpanel rechts drin.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 1,615
Hi there,

trunk floor is "like" new, but I used a new gastank from a 65-Mustang, not the original one. I think thats better, because of the trunk is even with this...
Peter

One terrible thing about the Mustang gas tank is that the upper wall of the tank doubles as the trunk floor. If the car ever gets hit in the rear, they are prone to spreading flaming gasoline forward into the passemger compartment. It may have seemed like a good idea at the time but there were many lawsuits aginst Ford because of this design defect. You can read the gruesome stories if you Google it. But I guessI understand your thinking if you were able to obtain a new Ford tank easier than a reproduction Duster tank and trunk floor in Germany.

This car apparently came from Chicago where salt is spread liberally on the roads in Winter to melt the snow but is really brutal on the old sheet metal.

Good luck on the build! If you need anything, let us know.

Good to see your progress. Moving right along there. I have to agree about the Mustang tank. There should be some one here that would have a good used tank for a decent price. Just thinking out loud. Keep up the good work.:coffee2:

Hi there,

thanks for the posts - but millions of Mustang buyers can´t be wrong ! I also had a 65`Mustang for some years and I had never thinking about a danger in trunk area...
For me it seemed thats the fastest way to close the trunk area and please remember:
this car will be a cruiser for people, that love it as an OLDTIMER-CAR...it´s not for racing or everyday use ( one reason for that is the high price for gas in Germany ! ).

Actually : car is turned, so now I can change the rusty floors on drivers side.
Peter

I can see the point of the mustang tank being a hazard, but how is it any worse then a fuel cell being mounted in the trunk?

If someone was worried then they could always fill in the area behind the rear seat with some sheet metal to form a firewall

Peter! You've done great on your car. I would like to talk to Mr Electric and Mr Fiberglass about their work. Wish they could do it right from beginning. Good luck with your work. Will follow your thread.

Any Mopar shows this summer?

I can see the point of the mustang tank being a hazard, but how is it any worse then a fuel cell being mounted in the trunk?

If someone was worried then they could always fill in the area behind the rear seat with some sheet metal to form a firewall

1. I'm not into pissing contests but I believe fuel cells are specifically made NOT to rupture in an accident. Hence they are required in some forms of racing.

2. You may have every intention in the world of not getting in an accident, but tell that to the texting teen-aged driver who just piled into the rear of your car when you were stopped at a traffic light. Especially ones with miniscule tail lights and dim bulbs.

3.Yes there could be a metal firewall added and I believe Rustang owners actually do those things to make their car more safe. (Pintos and LTD's also were known to be fireballs) I'm not making this up. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1999/05/17/60ii/main47539.shtml

4. And yes, millions of mustang owners can be wrong. Carroll Shelby is on record as calling it a secretary's car. You can look it up.

5. Before I get blasted here about media stories, you can do whatever you want.

Hi there,
some weeks are passed and the RusterDuster lost mostly all the rusty parts on the floors - I welded new ones in.
Last weekend I put all rolling parts out, so the car´s standing without front and rear axle in my garage. Also I put out the transmission ...
Now I put the parts from the axles, brakes, crossmember in their parts.... to bring it to the sand blasting company. After this these parts will get a new paint with POR 15.
For the new electricty I´ve got the 12 circuit wiring harness from ez-wirering - I used it also for my 1956 PU F 100 , so I think it´s an easy way to make all wirering new.
Next work will be : cleaning the underside of the car and give all the parts and new paint with POR 15... I think this needs aprox. 5 Weeks of work.
At a first test I removed the paint on the inner front fender.

Peter

Attachments

• 100D3875.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 1,439
  • 100D3870.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 1,444
  • 100D3848.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,451
  • 100D3839.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,420
  • 100D3828.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 1,465
  • 100D3808.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,446
  • 100D3802.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,451
  • 100D3877.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 1,441
  • 100D3872.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1,457
hi there,
time is going on fast and some work was done on the RusterDuster.
Last week I´d loaded the Pick Up with all the old parts to bring them to sand blasting.
This week I got them back and start the work to give them a nice finish with POR 15. So now they look great and it will be a nice work to put them together and into the car after cleaning the underside. Also the floor pans and rest of the underside will get a paint with POR 15.

Peter

Attachments

• 100D3891.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 1,390
  • 100D3890.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,396
  • 100D3889.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 1,411
  • 100D3888.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,407
  • 100D3886.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 1,410
Hi there,
news from the RusterDuster:
sheet metal under the floor were cleaned in the last 4 weeks and prepaired for new paint. Welding work is finished till some small points.
Actually I paint the under side of the car with POR15.
After this I will start replacement of the rear break cylinders, give the axle new paint and put this again under the car.
After this, I can put in the K-member and complete the front wheel drive.
So in 2-3 weeks the car will stand on his own four wheels again.

Peter

Attachments

• 100D3953.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,363
  • 100D3955.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,330
  • 100D3948.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,371
  • 100D3959.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,330
Nice work Peter. You have come a long way in a short time. Keep up the great work and we love to see pictures of your progress. That's one nice looking F100 to!

New pics from the last work:
Underside is completely black painted, rear axle is new painted...
Surprise surprise , look what I´ve found in the rear axle:

Greets,
Peter

Attachments

• 100D3967.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,290
  • 100D3984.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,282
  • 100D3985.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,299
  • 100D3988.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 1,288
  • 100D3992.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 1,301
Thanks for the positive comments !
Now I have some problems with overhauling the front disc brakes... the guy before me had installes two different brake calipers :violent1: and now I need this part with # 4574 A ( for one brake piston ) as a used part.
New pistons are here and also the seals and bleeders...can anybody help with such a caliper?
Thanks,
Peter

-
Back