return line location

-

moparfanatic56

Reaction score
I am wanting to know if this is the correct location for the return line on my 72 dart. This is what I ordered from inline tube, it just looks too far forward to me and does it attach to inner fender someway? Thanks

20230713_133955.jpg

That line (By the horn, right?) looks like it attaches to the charcoal/vapor canister, but it also looks like that car didn't come equipped with one. I owned a 72 Dart Swinger & it did not have one from the factory either. I have a 74 Duster (parts car) that DOES have/had one & that line was held to the frame rail with metal clamps that screwed into the frame rail itself. I believe there were 2-3 between the canister & firewall before heading further rearward. Yours also does not appear to have the screw holes in the frame rail either. I will take pictures of mine while it's still intact, if you want.

That line (By the horn, right?) looks like it attaches to the charcoal/vapor canister, but it also looks like that car didn't come equipped with one. I owned a 72 Dart Swinger & it did not have one from the factory either. I have a 74 Duster (parts car) that DOES have/had one & that line was held to the frame rail with metal clamps that screwed into the frame rail itself. I believe there were 2-3 between the canister & firewall before heading further rearward. Yours also does not appear to have the screw holes in the frame rail either. I will take pictures of mine while it's still intact, if you want.
I would appreciate some pictures. Mine is an ex drag car and when I tore it down 7 years ago I can't remember if it had a return line or not. I put a new sending unit in and it has the tube for the return line so I want to use it along with the 3 nipple fuel filter to help reduce the potential vapor lock. I did get the s clips that attach the return line to the fuel line but I am not sure what holds it in place on the inner fender.

I would appreciate some pictures. Mine is an ex drag car and when I tore it down 7 years ago I can't remember if it had a return line or not. I put a new sending unit in and it has the tube for the return line so I want to use it along with the 3 nipple fuel filter to help reduce the potential vapor lock. I did get the s clips that attach the return line to the fuel line but I am not sure what holds it in place on the inner fender.
Ours didn't come with return lines

When I put a new fuel line on my duster, I ran it beside the existing one and used the stock one as a return

Ours didn't come with return lines

When I put a new fuel line on my duster, I ran it beside the existing one and used the stock one as a return
The return line that I purchased was a 2 piece so I might be able to just run a piece of fuel line hose down to where the 2 pieces are supposed to join and just eliminate the metal line along the inner fender?

That's not a solid fuel return line. That's the vapor return line that attaches to the charcoal canister that mounts in that front corner.

That's not a solid fuel return line. That's the vapor return line that attaches to the charcoal canister that mounts in that front corner.
So can I eliminate the use of the charcoal canister (don't have it) and use the 3 nipple filter and connect it to the vapor return line without any issues?

So can I eliminate the use of the charcoal canister (don't have it) and use the 3 nipple filter and connect it to the vapor return line without any issues?
I guess you could, but I would use the vapor return line for a solid fuel return if it was mine. It connects straight to the fuel sending unit, right?

That is what I thought mine was also, as I had never dealt with the charcoal canister before. Thanks for the education.
Sho nuff. Those vapor return lines make great solid fuel return lines, UNTIL you really start getting on up there in power, then you need a 3/8 or larger return line, but you'll be fine for what you're doing.

I'll have some pics tomorrow. I also noticed that there is no indentation on the right inner fender well for a slant 6 engine alternator. I thought all A-Bodies had them regardless of what engine it had from the factory.

The inner fenders were both replaced with amd parts don't know if that is where the difference is or not.
These are pictures of the Duster I'm cutting up for reference. If you have AMD inner fenders, that would explain the difference.
The shots are from the front to back of the right inner fender apron. The last pic. still has the factory clamp & bolt in place. Hope this helps.

DSC01284.JPG

DSC01287.JPG

DSC01286.JPG

DSC01285.JPG

-
Back