Return system on OEM fuel tank?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I'm biting the bullet and going to an electric pump. I would really like to run a return line so I don't have to worry about vapor lock but I have heard there isn't a fitting on the tank for a return line. How difficult would it be to add? Also if I'm not driving a lot in hot weather would it be worth the work or am I just being a girl about the vapor lock issue?

I have suggested using the vent on the sending unit but have been told that would not be good due to spraying strait into the gas aerating the fuel. There is also a fitting that can be cut into the fill tube as a return.

I have a return system on my '68 Barracuda tank. Purchased a new tank just in case, a 3/8" sending unit with 1/4" return. Heated up and removed the silver soldered in 1/4" fitting. Used a small step drill to enlarge the opening to 3/8" steel tube. And, silver soldered in the 3/8" return line. It's pretty simple and works great.

I did make the return line longer, so it would direct the returning fuel away from the pick-up and onto the front wall of the fuel tank to reduce any turbulence/aeration.

I also plumbed a Permacool water separator/ fuel filter between the sending unit and in front of my fuel pump. Be sure to use the real silver solder available at welding supply stores and not the hardware store cheapie replacement stuff. I paid $50 for a kit of the real stuff.

Also, I always use the fuel injection grade rubber hose and the EFI clamps for the same. They are much higher quality. Make sure you use a quality relay and fuse as well.

I know all you guys are not as "back yardish" as I am, and not all of you can fabricate, etc

"What I done" on my 67

I simply drained the tank, then plumbed my CO2 tank off the mig up to the supply feed tube and filled the tank with CO2. I capped the filler after a few minutes, and ran the original vent tube temporarily out the side of the car with some scrap tube. Lit it on fire, fed by the pressure of the incoming CO2. When the flame went out, I knew the CO2 was diluting / pushing out the fuel fumes. Let the CO2 flow for another couple of minutes.

Then just scraped the front of the tank clean up near the sender, and punched (not drilled) a hole with a tapered punch / awl. "Pushed" it out larger until I could get a scrap piece of tubing in the hole.

Last, just silver brazed (high temp silver braze) it up

I did!!! Make a mistake!!! I installed a 1/4 return, because at the time I was using a carb, and a Wix return filter (33040/41) which has a 1/4" return.

To do this again, I'd use either 5/16 or 3/8, or maybe even braze in a no6 JIC (steel) fitting which is same as no6 AN.

The reason for this is that since then I've converted to EFI. The 1/4 return fitting in the tank is barely large enough. I am running 3/8 from the return regulator to the tank, and stepping down to the 1/4 fitting. Don't make that mistake

-
Back