Reverse lights and wiper switch ?'s

-

matthon

Reaction score
Why is it, that when I put the 4 speed into reverse, the reverse light come on, then go off- if I wiggle the shifter I can hear the switch on the tranny, and the wiper switch clicks.
If I turn on the wipers, the do not work at first, then once they come on the reverse lights come on.
I have to do this multiple times to keep the lights on.

I redid all of the electrical, including all the switches, and have had no issues until now.

The dash lights fuse also blows periodically- not sure if that is related.

Any ideas?

Checked- all dash lights grounded to the car, gauge panel grounded to the car, grounded alternator to the voltage regulator to the battery to the car, grounded the engine to the car, grounded the reverse lights, new dash, engine bay, and rear wiring, including the reverse wiring to the tranny, phew!

I looked at the wiring diagram, and one of the wires from the tranny switch goes to the reverse lights, the other to the wiper switch- why is that?

Is one of the switches bad, or is the shifter not engaging the switch?

The tranny switch is new, and I think the wiper switch is too, and I know new ones can be duds, but I have had these for a while with no problems.

The age old question what year/ model?

Many electrical connections are made "on the way" from one thing to another, that is, in this case, probly "daisy chained from the fuse box to the wiper switch to the reverse light switch. The reverse lights are probably acting up because either that power lead is not getting good solid power (bad connection somewhere) or the switch is intermittent.

Not sure about the wipers. Some of the Mopar wiper systems use a wierd system, where the switching is in the ground circuit.

67 Barracuda.

I'm trying to understand what happens when the shifter is put in reverse: one wire from the wiper switch to the tranny, one from the tranny to the reverse lights- the wiper switch has 6 other wires on it.

I'm thinking that even though the wiper switch is tight on the dash and does not move around, it is not making a good ground to it.

So, if that is the case, then maybe the wiper switch is the problem.
I'll run a wire and bypass it and see what happens.

-
Back