Reviving my 68 Barracuda

-

red68cuda

Reaction score
I am in the process of gathering parts to revive my first car that I have owned since I was 16 back in 1976. My father bought two cars, a 67 notch back barracuda that had the front clip removed because of an accident that had no title, and a red 68 Barracuda fastback that had no motor but had a clear title. He payed $600 for both cars that I had to pay him back for. He pointed at the white one and said there's the engine and transmission and pointed at the red fastback and said there's a good body. He said if your going to drive a car you better learn how to work on them. I grew up on a farm and was more than used to doing equipment repairs from helping my brother and father fix things. With the help of my brother (who was and still is a car fanatic) and some help from my dad. I had a working red 68 Plymouth Barracuda with a 273 2 barrel automatic and it came with the towing package so it had the heavy duty leaves and the 8.75 sure grip. It had a front bench with column shifter. I still had the 67 that had bucket seats and the automatic console shifter. Out came the bench; in went the buckets, center console, and steering column from the 67. When your 16 this was way cooler than a bench seat; bench seats were for old people. After high school I got a different car and the Plymouth just sat on the farm, and then it sat at my uncles, and then it sat at my brothers. After getting married and raising three children and after helping my son get his car performing (98 Neon RT that is very quick) I have started collecting parts to redo the old cuda. It will need quarter work, rockers, and some other metal work but the frame rails and and floor pan are still sound most likely do to the rust proofing that was done when it was brand new and it always having rims on it even if the tires were flat, that kept it out of the dirt. My brother, the car nut (A chevy guy, I can't explain it, other than his first car was a Chevy Laguna) now owns a repair shop. He repairs cars and rebuilds old cars, will be helping me with again with body work, that's what older brothers are for right? Probably will have to pay him this time!

Started to do some work to it when my son was 16 as father/son project put together a k frame from a 73 dart with new tie rod ends, biggest front sway bar available, urethane bushings and disk brake setup with 4 1/2 inch bolt circle with all right hand threads. We found some 8.75 inch axles out of a C body that I had shortened and they had to have the end turned down to spline them again the splined ends are the smallest diameter of the axle that also have the 4 1/2 inch bolt circle. We added wider rear drums than stock by changing the backing plates and purchased new wider drums and shoes. Will post pictures soon.

vbpgimage.php

My first car in 1976 it used to look better, but never as good as it will when I am done.

vbpgimage.php

Caliper brackets and calipers came from a basket case Cordoba that also donated the deeper backing plates from the 9 1/4 rear for my 8 3/4 for wider rear drums. Using the 73 for the larger ball joints the through bolt idler arm and I prefer the sway bar through the K frame.
vbpicgallery.php

View attachment 100_4884.jpg
My large port commandos with offset rocker shafts and stands with 1.6 ratio MP roller rocker arms.
View attachment 100_5052.jpg
My Edlebrock Airgap and hand polished demon carb.
View attachment 100_5053.jpg
My hand polished 8 blade water pump (what a pain that was) and hand polished timing cover.
View attachment 100_4886.jpg
Restorable grill and header panel
View attachment 100_4887.jpg
the other side.

Picked up a 68 deck lid with trim and drivers remote mirror $155.00 100 mile trip each way.

Attachments

• 100_4885.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 142
Need screw in end plugs for my rocker shafts. Does anyone know where I could get some or a part number for only the screw in end plugs for these, if there even is one.

-
Back