Rewiring the dart. Need some advice.

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
I bought a vintage air by level heater (took the heater out of the dart many years ago to save weight. I live in MN and now have kids) Where the heater was is were I mounted msd box, ign coil, fuse block, etc. I have sinced moved the battery back to the engine bay and cant decide how I want to route my wires. I moved the fuse block to the fresh air delete plate under the drivers side dash.

My question is I have a ford taurus fan wired to just run on the high setting. It has a temp switch that kicks on at 185 and off at 175. With a override switch. I have a 40 amp relay that I mounted on the radiator support. How big of wire and fuse should I use? I also need 12v power for the relay used to power the fuse block inside the car and to power the msd box. (have another fuse block that could be mounted in the engine bay)

How big of wire and how big of fuse needed to power relay for fuse block inside the car. line lock, electric exhaust cut outs, fan relay (key power), msd key power, gauge lights, alternator sense wire, radio.

47827_10152722786550573_441571937_n.jpg

Also I have a volt gauge do I need a big 12v wire going to the factory gauge to power the dash? or will a 14 gauge wire from the fuse block suffice?

Also I have a volt gauge do I need a big 12v wire going to the factory gauge to power the dash? or will a 14 gauge wire from the fuse block suffice?

Voltmeter needs switched 12V from key. They don't draw much, a very small wire would run it.

I have a ford taurus fan wired to just run on the high setting. It has a temp switch that kicks on at 185 and off at 175. With a override switch. I have a 40 amp relay that I mounted on the radiator support. How big of wire and fuse should I use? I also need 12v power for the relay used to power the fuse block inside the car and to power the msd box. (have another fuse block that could be mounted in the engine bay)

How big of wire and how big of fuse needed to power relay for fuse block inside the car. line lock, electric exhaust cut outs, fan relay (key power), msd key power, gauge lights, alternator sense wire, radio.

Don't quite understand. Is this TWO circuits, IE the fan, and feeding power TO the fuse block, or are you trying to pull fan power off the fuse block TO the fan

If the latter, I would not

Pull the power for the fan off a main battery point such as the starter relay stud. The SWITCHING wire for the relay needs to go to switched 12V, if you want to kill the fan with the key. This is a small load and can go to switched ignition (ignition run) under the hood.

both circuits are getting power directly from bat. read that taurus fans pull 50amps. how big of fuse and what gauge wire. same with fuse block wire and fuse size for relay.
thanks

We can't read your mind. I count three circuits

the fan

the voltmeter

power to the fuse block

You need to explain

Is the fuse block reference the SOURCE of power? As I said I would NOT take fan power FROM the fuse block

If the fans draw 50A you need more than a 40A relay. You need TWO 40A relays

I would feed each fan separately off two relays, is that 25A apiece?

Use 12 or better 10 gauge for EACH fan

or 10 or better 8 guage for both.

-
Back