Richmond Powertrax or Detroit Locker?

-

Rocket

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have access to both a Richmond Powertrax and Detroit Locker differential assembly for my 8 3/4 small block powered stroker. For solid street/strip performance which system can handle the most abuse? I have not seen any information on either the Powertrax or the Detroit Locker on how much torque these units can handle. Car will see some limited track time with slicks so this is an important consideration as well. Final build of the powertrain is not complete but it will be in the 500 to 600 HP and torque range.

Thanks

I have a detroit locker in my dart and I can tell you that I love the strength, but I hate the noise. Turning in a parking lot is annoying, because people think that my rear end is falling apart.

Detroit locker 38in tall tires and 500+ HP tons of torque 0 problems. Never really bugged me in parking lots, must admit when it locked up the first time the bang was a little freaky LOL. Like them so much I bought one for my Dana 60 in the Dart.

The Power Trax and lower cost Lock Rite are the same unit, with the exception that the Power Trax has a little ring built into it, so when the gears are separating to allow you to turn in corners, the Powertrax does not click like the Lock Rite.

these are nice options to replacing the entire center section, as you can use the existing carrier. In MOST cases, you can remove spider gears and not disturb the gear postitioning. The 8 3/4 is not the same, and in the one I messed with, we had to remove the ring gear, to get the cross pin out, as the location of the cross pin did not allow removal as it hit the ring gear.

If doing the entire rear end in rebuild, Eaton and Auburn both have center units that are not as loud as Lock Rite or Detroit, but may give a little up on max strength.

Thanks for the comments. I am familiar with the locker's reputation but do not know much about the Powertrax. Is it a strong enough unit for 600 foot pounds of torque with slicks?

600 LB FT will break a lunchbox locker all to pieces. Go with the detroit and you'll never break it. Quiet cars are for sissies anyway.

I have a new Auburn running around 5oohp with no issues,if I,d had a little more cash I would,ve went detroit locker.I now have a spool for track racing.

-
Back