Ride height question

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Looking under my Dart the other day I noticed that the rebound bumpers on the lower control arms are only about a 1/4 from the frame. Would this cause a harsh ride on rough roads? I would like to raise it up some, will I need it realigned afterwards?

Thanks
Aaron

Your factory service manual has ride height specs in it.

When I rebuilt the front end I set it as close as I could to spec when I had it aligned they said it was right on. Would sagging rear springs have any affect on the front ride height?

Sure, if you move it enough, LOL. You jack the *** way up in the air, EG, and the front will go down. You are changing the CG, shifting weight to the front.

Maybe,and maybe.
A change in ride height always affects the alignment angles.However, if your LCA is parallel to the ground now, then a minor change to the ride height, may not affect the alignment enough to require a realignment.Only the tires will know for sure.If a roadtest shows no tendency to dart,wander,or pull,and the tires wear evenly;then MAYBE you will be ok.
If the roads in your neighborhood are such that your frame is constantly banging on the bumpstops, then yes, the ride can/will be harsh. The bumpers will tell the story.
Before you change the ride height though, jack the front end up, under the center of the K, and watch the bumpstop clearance. Notice how little the clearance changes there, compared to how much the rideheight changes.
Sagg-ing rear springs can affect the alignment. That is,as the rear drops down, the caster goes positive(generally a good thing).As the weight shifts to the rear, the front ride height goes up. This changes the camber.A camber change always affects the toe.Now, if you align the car to the sagged rear springs, all is good. Or if you drop the front height to the same height that it was before the weight transfer occured then the alignment is/may be maintained.
To illustrate this, imagine you open the trunk and pour 400 pounds of sand in there. The rear end saggs, and the front end may rise, changing the alignment.Then start putting sandbags on the front hood.When the front ride height is restored, then so is the alignment(at least the part that affects tire-wear).
Other things that affect the ride quality are;HD shocks,old hard tires,tires worn to less than 50% treadwear,too much tire pressure, heavy steel wheels,or a worn out seat.
If you raise the front higher than the rear, the car will, at speed,get up on the air passing under it. This usually costs a bit of cash at the gaspump, and messes a bit with higher speed handling/steering.

-
Back