Right Angle oil filter adapter question

-

PlumCrazyJay

70 Dart
Reaction score
I put a right angle oil filter adapter on my 360 and forgot to put the big thick bolt gasket between the block and the adapter. Questions: What purpose does this gasket have and can I run without it? Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

It will run and will not leak oil externally. internally a small amount of oil will bypass the filter

I believe most of the oil will bypass the filter since it will take the path of least resistance. Mine had the totally WRONG gasket in it when I purchased the car (very thin). The oil looked like it had never seen a filter. Not good for an engine with only 200 miles since a rebuild.
Yote

OilAdapterGaskets.jpg

I found out my 91 360 block was actually cut a little deeper than some blocks so I used a 1/4 inch cork gasket plus a thin metal washer and a homemade gasket made of fairly thick gasket material. This gasket is used to force the oil through the hollow bolt and keeps it from going between the bolt and the housing where it would do no good. You would have no external leaks only internal leakage with little or no filtering taking place if you had no or the wrong gasket in there. If you've put a right angle adapter on your car you might want to ask yourself "What's in my car?"

in my car is the p5249320 3 gasket kit. and the center gasket keeps some of the oil from bypassing the filter, the passage in the adapter from the pump going into the filter is larger than the area of the missing center gasket, especially when we port it.

Hopefully nobody minds me hijacking this thread a little bit, but I figured this is the best place to post since it is a current thread on the filter adapter. How do you get the thing off? Mine is leaking oil. Does it just twist off like a standard filter? I didn't want to just start tugging on it and cause a problem.

-
Back