Ring gear and pinion swap questions

-

Budgetmoparman

Reaction score
I have 3 rear ends I am swapping parts out of, all 3 are Dana 60. I will call them 1,2,& 3 to try to eliminate confusion. #1 is in the vehicle and has 4:10 gears with open carrier. #2 has 4:10 gears and sure grip. #3 has 3:55 gears and open carrier. I want to use the sure grip from #2 and put the 3:55 gears from #3 in the housing from #1. Should I use the carrier bearings and races that are already in #1 with the sure grip carrier from #2 and 3:55 pinion from #3? Or should I keep the bearings and races on the 3:55 pinion and put them in housing #1. I know this sounds very confusing with all of the numbers but I don't know how else to explain it. I am using the housing from one rear end and the ring and pinion out of a different rear end and the sure grip carrier out of a different rear end.

..........Its not as simple as swapping parts........u will need to set the pinion depth and bearing preload as well as the carrier bearing preload which is done with shims...u need the proper back lash and don't forget to check the drive and coast patterns...its very time consuming ................kim.........

..........Its not as simple as swapping parts........u will need to set the pinion depth and bearing preload as well as the carrier bearing preload which is done with shims...u need the proper back lash and don't forget to check the drive and coast patterns...its very time consuming ................kim.........
I understand all of that. I set up a rear end years ago but that was just swapping an open carrier for a posi. I didn't change the pinion shaft. I remember it is very time consuming. I'm just not sure about which bearings or races I should be using. Thanks for the heads up though.

I understand all of that. I set up a rear end years ago but that was just swapping an open carrier for a posi. I didn't change the pinion shaft. I remember it is very time consuming. I'm just not sure about which bearings or races I should be using. Thanks for the heads up though.
A kit with new bearings would be your best choice.. cheap insurance for such a labor intensive job.

i would get all bearings/races and seals for it because for what i costs it makes no sense to not do it while its apart. as far as which bearings you should be able to get same ones but if you want to be sure just set the pinion and the carrier in the case to make sure it all fits good or measure them just to be safe.

but the gears should swap from one to the other

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2007/01/Chrysler-8-1-4-inch-differentials/1393164.html

-
Back