RIP MSD 6C

-

MoparMike1974

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 340 dart sport died suddenly on the way home from work today. The old MSD 6C took a dirt nap. A moment of silence for 6C, he was a good ignition box and a good friend for many years.

An autopsy will be performed tomorrow. Hopefully I can provide some answers.

Last edited:
Bought one back in 1978......still have it ...worked the last time I tested last year..

Assuming the unit is not potted like OEM mopar you might be able to have it repaired.

My 340 dart sport died suddenly on the way home from work today. The old MSD 6C took a dirt nap. A moment of silence for 6C, he was a good ignition box and a good friend for many years.

An autopsy will be performed tomorrow. Hopefully I can provide some answers.

If you can't or won't fix it or have it fixed, don't tear it up and send it up here. "No guarantees" LOL

Doubt its potted. The 6T is the only one that might have potting.
Autotronics would fix any of the 6 series (and 505 etc) if you sent them back.
I have no idea if Holley Corp will do that (or can do that).

:rolleyes: It apparently may just need a jump start
Defibrillator_(UOMZ).jpg

I have a digital 6al and was having problems with stalling and not running. I took the plug apart from unit to distributor and found oxidation on the pins, cleaned them and added a little dielectric grease and car was running again. Worth taking a look. My car has always been garaged so I was surprised to see that.

Doubt its potted. The 6T is the only one that might have potting.
Autotronics would fix any of the 6 series (and 505 etc) if you sent them back.
I have no idea if Holley Corp will do that (or can do that).
Thats a depressing thought!
Autotronics helped me diagnose and fix a problem with my 7, a couple of times. Their labor price was fair, and turnaround time was brief. So yeah, hope they'll still offer this service.

If it ran until now, I'd say you got pretty good life out of it, considering when they were last produced. I always liked the idea of those boxes, plugging into the factory electronic harness. Simple and effective.

They were not a simple plug and play. You still had to do some wiring modifications.
Im going to see if I can cross these power transistors and repair it.

-
Back