Road trip/Army Graduation (lots of photos)

-

hotrodscamp

Reaction score
My best friend Jeremy joined the Army. At 40 years old, with a wife, a 3-year-old daughter and a 2-year-old son, working at a decent job, it seemed almost ludicrous when he told me that he wanted to "do my duty and serve my country". I reminded him that we were in 2 separate wars with another one brewing. He indicated that that's why they need him. I was forced to agree.

It took nearly 7 months and 2 recruiting stations across the state to finally get him sworn in and shipped off to training. He selected Combat Engineer as his "Military Occupational Specialty" or MOS. His assignment was for "One-Station-Unit-Training" at the United States Army Engineer School at Fort Leonard Wood Missouri. A 14 week program of Basic Combat Training and Engineer-specific military skills training. Then further assigment to an Engineer Brigade at Fort Lewis, Washington.

George Washington appointed the first Army Engineers in 1775, during the American Revolution, and Engineers have served in combat in all subsequent American wars. The Army established the Corps of Engineers as a separate, permanent branch in 1802. The Engineer slogan "we clear the way" says a lot about the role of Engineers on the battlefield. Behind the lines Engineers build the infrastructure to do battle. At home and abroad Engineers construct everything from bridges and buildings, to roads and monuments, to canals and dams. The Corps of Engineers is responsible for US federal flood control and emergency response to natural disasters. I call the Corps of Engineers the backbone of our american way of life.

The Corps of Engineers is special to me because 25 years ago I too joined the Army as a Combat Engineer. I completed engineer training at the United States Army Engineer School at Fort Leonard Wood. I was then stationed in an Engineer Brigade at Fort Lewis, Washington. I was 17, a high school dropout and had few prospects. I was only accepted as an Engineer due to high scores on the GED, the military entrance exam, and the physical examination. The day I graduated training at Ft. Leonard Wood was the proudest of my life.

Jeremys graduation was on Friday, so last Tuesday morning we hit the road from Winter Springs, FL headed for Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. Here's a map of our route with gas stops marked:

trip1.jpg

http://www.mikefurtado.com/images/flwtrip/trip1.jpg

Before we left, I hit the local AutoZone for some spare parts to take with us on the trip:

Distributor cap 7.99
Ignition rotor 3.99
Plug wire set 21.99
8 Bosch plugs 23.92
Ignition coil 17.99
Fuel filter 4.49
Alternator/AC belts 21.98
P/S belt 13.99
Upper radiator hose 9.99
Lower radiator hose 10.99
Bypass hose 4.99
Hose clamps 8.57
Thermostat 7.99
Water outlet gasket 1.09
Water pump 47.99
Radiator cap 4.99
Wheel cylinder 9.99
15' tow strap w/hooks 18.99
Duct tape 3.59
1 gal Coolant pre-mix 10.99
ATF+4 trasmission fluid 10.98
STP Wire drier 3.29
Dry gas 3.49
Octane boost 3.99
P/S fluid 2.99
Brake fluid 2.99
Fix-a-flat 5.99

Subotal 290.22
Discount - 13.38
Tax 19.38
Total 296.22

It burns some oil so I threw a case of oil from the garage in the trunk and the fuel gauge isn't so accurate so a 2 gallon gas can goes in too. I also carry a file box with a 1974 Parts book, 1974 Shop manual set, a folder with ALL the receipts from the last 9 years and a misc. paperwork folder in it. Besides a nice collection of parts, I carry a fully capable tool box, and a nice collection of parts and pieces that I've collected over the years. I felt confident I wouldn't use any of it. And I thought it best to back that up with a AAA Platinum Plan :)

Here is a shot of the trunk with all the parts tool and fluids loaded, but before we loaded up our luggage:

And a shot after the luggage was all loaded:

And here's me, being just about as happy as I get:

I made hotel reservations for Tuesday night at the Elvis Presley Heartbreak Hotel in Memphis about 820 miles from home. I'll bet this was a nice hotel many years ago. Today its old and showing it's age. Like almost any hotel room, the entire room, carpet, furniture, bed, etc. is all damp from the condensation of years of air conditioning that never stops. I remembered right away why I really hate hotels.​

A shot of their cool Art Deco style signage:​

And the broken heart swimming pool was cool:​

On Wednesday morning we left Memphis headed for Fort Leonard Wood, another 320 miles. This is a fantastic part of the country for its' beautiful scenery and great winding mountain roads! It was a beautiful day for a drive and we had a wonderful time. We arrived at the hotel in St. Robert, MO (just outside the base) around 2:30 in the afternoon. We met up with my friends' wife and 2 children who haven't seen him in 3 1/2 months. Military families are unsung heroes; they will sacrifice their hero so he can be ours.​

Thursday morning we headed onto the base for a "Family Briefing" and "Family Day" where the trainees get a day-pass to visit with family.​

A shot at the main gate going onto the base:​

The first time we saw him was on stage at the family briefing, receiving a promotion in rank for outstanding performance during training, one of 7 out of 205 trainees to get this recognition:​

Then they march the training company outside the theater to be released for the day pass:​

We stood back a little, knowing his family would maul him as soon as they were able; it was a very touching moment:​

Family shot w/Jeremy, wife Dawn, Daughter Mia, Son Jet and Jeremy's Grandmother:​

Here he is with his parents:​

And finally, my turn with him:​

At this time, he was allowed to remove his belongings from the barracks and give them to the family:

Here is where he spent 3 1/2 months training:​

Jeremy's graduation ring:​

An Engineers "Coin of Excellence" Jeremy was awarded during his training:​

And finally, back at the hotel to sit with his family and catch up:​

We had to bring him back to the base by 2000 hours and we wouldn't see him again until the graduation ceremony on Friday.​

The graduation ceremony was incredible. There are few things more different than a civilian and a soldier, and this training converts a civilian into a soldier in just 3 months. It's an amazing thing to see.​

The first part of the ceremony was a demonstration of soldiers' uniforms throughout the years and the current outfitted soldier recited the soldiers' creed:​

I am an American Soldier.
I am a Warrior and a member of a team. I serve the people of the United States and live the Army Values.
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.
I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills. I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.
I am an expert and I am a professional.
I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.
I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.
I am an American Soldier.
trip20.jpg

IT IS NO WONDER TO ME WHY WE ARE THE "MOST FREE" COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.

Here is a shot of the friendly Engineer Drill Sergeants:​

Next the trainees got the Engineer Castle pinned on the lapel, officially becoming an American Soldier and a Combat Engineer:​

The final part of the ceremony was the Company Commander led the company in repeating the Oath of Enlistment they all swore before joining:​

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

:salute:​

This was my first chance to congratulate a new American Soldier and an Army Engineer:​

And back at the hotel room:​

His kids wouldn't let him go, they were SOOOOO happy to see him:​

Boy, you must be parched after 3 1/2 months without a beer:​

On Friday night, we all went to dinner at a restaurant called "The Cave" in Richland, MO. First, the road leading to the restaurant was one of the most fun I've ever driven on, my wife and I both were dreaming of riding our motorcycles on it. I pushed the Scamp to its outer limits and we had a ball!
Jeremy's wife Dawn came up with the idea, and I give her a hundred points! This was one of the highlights of the trip.​

The restaurant is literally in a cave up on the side of a mountain and they shuttle the guests up the mountain road to an elevator that takes you up to the cave.​

Here's a shot inside the restaurant:​

The trip home was less planned; I didn't make a hotel reservation for Saturday night and didn't have a route planned. When we left on Saturday morning, we decided to drive through St. Louis to get a look at the arch. We walked around the St. Louis riverfront and the Arch Park and snapped a few shots:​

Headed down to the riverfront:​

Lewis and Clark statue:​

The kid at the riverfront plaque:​

Looking up the side of the St. Louis Arch:​

A shot of the Arch as we left the city:​

And finally, back on the road:​

The trip back took us through the mountains in Kentucky and Tennessee. Another wonderful drive for both scenery and great roads:​

After sunset we didn't get any more pictures. The drive was so nice and going so smoothly we just kept going gas stop to gas stop. I didn't get tired of driving until after 3:30 in the morning so we switched and I slept for 45 minutes. I took over again and drove through to arrive at 7:30 on Sunday Morning.​

If you've read this story, you may have noticed that there was very little said about the 35-year-old car that dragged our asses half way across the country and back. That's because there's nothing to tell. The car ran the entire 2437.5 miles exactly the same as the first mile. The difference in the car now is that I've got bugs and mud from 8 different states to clean off it. Period. Not a cough or misfire to be heard. I love my car.​

Here's how it performed in the mileage department:​

Gas stops:
Winter Springs, FL
Jasper, FL
Campbellton, FL
Montgomery, AL
Winfield, AL
Memphis, AR
Portia, AR
St. Robert, MO
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Ballwin, MO
West City, IL
Nashville, TN
Acworth, GA
Tifton, GA
Ocala, FL

150.24 gallons of fuel
$2.61 average price per gallon
391.30 total fuel cost
2437.5 total miles traveled
16.37 average miles per gallon

If I were any more pleased with the cars' performance, I might explode.​

Map of the trip home with gas stops marked:

:cheers:​

First tell Jeremey thanks for serving. My son is in the Army and with the 173 air div. Bamberg Germany. He will be leaving for Afgan. in Nov. Wow your car made it a long way. I know my Dart would give me issues the whole way. Congrats and great pix.

Joining at 40 has got to be tough. Being able to hang with the physical requirements of those half your age is something to be especially proud of. I'm sure he will make an excellent soldier, and I wish him well.
Eric

tell jeremy that we all thank him for his duties to the country and the pics of him and his children were very touching

All I can say is, WOW!!! Great story, great pictures! I use to live in St. Louis so the river front pictures sure brought back some memories.

Three cheers to your 40 year old friend going through basic training with a bunch of teenagers and making it! My step son just did the same thing. He is 46 years old...been in the Army since he was a teenager. He is a WO4 and just a short time from reaching WO5. He resently was assigned to a Special Forces Group and in preparations for deployment to Afganistan he had to be airborne qualified. So, he went to jump school at Fort Benning. He was old enough to be everyone's father......but made it, along with all the others.

Your friend will probably be referred to as "Pappy" by all the younger guys.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

-
Back