rocker assy question

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
is the rocker assy on a 340 J head the same as the rocker assy on a x head. will they interchange. also I have what looks like an adjustable rocker assy set. do they fit the 273 engine. someone please educate me on this. I have a set of x-heads for a 340 that does not have rockers on them and have a set of rockers from a set of j heads. just wanted to know my options here. Thanks, Bill

I believe they are all interchangeable but somebody else will chime in to confirm im sure.

is the rocker assy on a 340 J head the same as the rocker assy on a x head. will they interchange. also I have what looks like an adjustable rocker assy set. do they fit the 273 engine. someone please educate me on this. I have a set of x-heads for a 340 that does not have rockers on them and have a set of rockers from a set of j heads. just wanted to know my options here. Thanks, Bill

rocker assemblies appear to be interchangable. will need to check push rod length however if you want correct valve train geometry. (a little time now saves time and money later). ;)

You should be able to use the 273 rockers on a set of 340/360 heads unless they're T/A heads, in which case they had offset rockers for the intake valves. But, the 273 adjustable rockers use a cup type pushrod on the top end as opposed to the ball end like stamped style rockers

As stated above, check your geometry during mock up to ensure proper valve tip contact and correct pushrod length.

The only LA rockers I know that are different are the T/A -- AAR rockers

273 adjustables and any mechanical you have to watch because the pushrods are not only different ( cup shaped upper) but mechanical / hydraulic are different length

Be sure to read your shop manual on proper assembly to get the oil holes right.

How do any of us know what you have without pictures?

shouldnt need any pictures to answer this question. thanks guys for the info. I thought the j and x heads were the same but wanted to make sure. Bill

-
Back