rocker shaft studs

-

midlife89

Reaction score
Does anyone know the dimensions of rocker shaft studs? I'm going to have a local shop make me a set of grade 8 ones.I'm using 273 adjustables with stock hold downs and my push rods are about .020 too long.I figured studs would make the shims easier to install.I know I should just get shorter ones but am planning to do a 408 over next winter and hate to spend the money on rods for 1 season.I need to know overall length and length of threads on either end.I know the threads on the block side are 5/16ths,should I go with fine threads on the shaft side?

fine threads would be the right way to go. If you check ARP, they may have the studs you need in stock. You may want to call also and inquire w/the tech line if you do not find what you what on line. They can help you.

Just a reminder how one thing sometimes leads to another. Studs of different grade and type will have a different torque spec. Stud with nut would be taller than the OEM bolt head too so cover clearance could be an issue.

Thats why I figured on going with grade 8.I'm using an old set of M/T valve covers so if I measure right it should be ok.I checked ARP catalog and see none listed.I guess I could tape the shims to the shaft then remove it after bolts are started

I use longer bolts from the hardware store. They don't need to be grade 8, they just need the right thread engagement.

-
Back