Rod bearing oil passage

-

bryan340

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the clevite rod bearing (cb-481p) is correct for my 95 magnum 318. My original bearings had a U shape notch that corresponded with the connecting rod for an obvious oil passagge, these do not. thnx again

cb-481p is the correct rod bearing for all mopar small blocks..

Yes - the notch was for an amount of oil that would spray the cylinder walls on the older small blocks. I don;t think Magnum rods have the passage, and performance aftermarket bearings in most cases don;t have it as it's been proven unneeded for ring seating and sealing.

With out the U shaped notch in the bearing how would it get oil ? am i over thinking this ? Would like to final assemble today, just don't want it to fail on me ....

You can call mancini racing and request bearings that have the "slots" for the oil squirt holes.

Here are their refresh kits that come with bearings etc:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/enrebkit.html

Here's just for bearings only:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/enginebearings.html

I like to use the oil squirt holes. If you put a little too much oil on the cylinders, the oil rings will do their job and scrape off the extra, if you don't have enough oil on your cylinders, your f*cked....

A little extra oil won't hurt you like not enough....

With out the U shaped notch in the bearing how would it get oil ? am i over thinking this ? Would like to final assemble today, just don't want it to fail on me ....

I would recommend not getting in a hurry and ordering the correct bearings for piece of mind.

Any reason one half of each pair can't be 'field notched' with a fine file? The back shell is the hard part; chamfer the edge of the soft surface....??

Any reason one half of each pair can't be 'field notched' with a fine file? The back shell is the hard part; chamfer the edge of the soft surface....??

You have to be careful and not leave any sharp edges or burrs if you do it by hand....

-
Back