roll back odometer?

-

connerray

Reaction score
I'm building up a 70 duster origanl / to v8 swap the od I'm sure has rolled over a time or 2 and the od reading on the title is exempt. I was wondering if its a bad idea to roll it back for a fresh start to make it a little easyer for future servicing (plugs wires oil changes etc). Bad idea?

you might want to check with your state dmv about the legality of that..,,,on some old cars they do not care...some states do..

Will do that first thing.
But there isn't any way to tell how many miles are on it, I could be 66,000 or it could be 266,000

I think in every state it's against the law to tamper with it......exempt or not. Exempt simply means not to trust what it says. I don't think that's a free hand to do what you want. I could be mistaken. Better to be safe than sorry.

I guess one way around it is a custom/aftermarket speedo.

why worry about something so petty. it's your car , just don't try to sell it as a low milege car. jmo

Bad idea, illegal in most states. Better off just keeping rcords & doing the math for service intervals.

they roll over at 99,999 anyway who would know the difference? also some people put aftermarket or different gauges in there car, suppose thats illegal too?

Just turn it back. If any one says anything tell them it just turned over for the 4th time.

I swear some of you guys must work for the feds. If some one asked if it was OK to wipe their *** sideways , There would be somewhere that it would be illegal.

The worst thing about this site is the its against the law cry babies. Who cares Just give him a reason why he should. Not all the BS why he can't.

Did you all know it is against the law to alter your car in any way without the corresponding info on your registration. Now what the hell are you law biding Numbers correct guys gonna do.

laws vary from state to state....just know what the law is in your state...so you can play (?) stupid went asked...

Just turn it back. If any one says anything tell them it just turned over for the 4th time.

I swear some of you guys must work for the feds. If some one asked if it was OK to wipe their *** sideways , There would be somewhere that it would be illegal.

The worst thing about this site is the its against the law cry babies. Who cares Just give him a reason why he should. Not all the BS why he can't.

Did you all know it is against the law to alter your car in any way without the corresponding info on your registration. Now what the hell are you law biding Numbers correct guys gonna do.
Don't sugar coat it tell them what you really think. LMAO. I agree making something about nothing. Its your car do what you want. If you go to DMV and ask them will just cause you grief.:eek:ops:

The laws are somewhat vague when one changes the reading to match the mileage to the Chassis.

My Signet was bought at 62,000 mile and now has an Autometer speedometer with zero miles because I never hooked it up in 25 plus years and will soon have a Speedhut speedometer..

Only morons play games with you to show their superior knowledge in stupidity

I think you need to chill the hell out. I just don't want to see anybody get in trouble. That's all there is to it. Take a valium with a big cup of STFU.

Ever put non stock tires on a car? ever have a cable break? ever change gear?

all that makes it ILLEGAL unless corrected... its very simple, on the title just check the inaccurate mileage and be done, infact they all should be...

its only fraud if you claim it to be said mileage, but thats not what he is trying to do... besides, how many times has it rolled over?? exactly...:burnout:

and i bet none of you told your insurance that that slant six car now has a big block or small block in it...

When I got the Demon, it had no engine and the speedometer did not work. I replaced both. When I sell the car, I will specify that "The speedometer read 68253 when replaced by a rebuilt unit reading 0.0 miles.". I've been told that is a satisfactory declaration on a title form by my jurisdiction. Don't know what you'd need to do in Arkansas. I agree with the point made by others here that is legally, ethically, and morally wrong to knowingly re-set an odometer and use the lower figure to represent the mileage of the car.

If you're trying to figure out whether the mileage on your odometer is 66000 or 266000, try doing a title search. You will have to inquire separately to each state that the car has been titled in. Understand that several states did not have title laws back in the day, which makes for a dead end for the search. Even today, Alabama does not require a title on a vehicle more than 35 model years old. (IIRC, AL was the last state to enact a title law.)

When I did a title search for a 66 Dart I restored back in the 90s, I found that the 97k on the odo was 297k. Each time the car was titled in a state, a mileage declaration was made. When the mileage in LA was 93k, and 2 yrs later in TN, the mileage was 28k. There was no speedometer repair/replace declaration, I think it is OK to assume the odometer rolled over. In my search, I found two such occurrences, one when the state changed, the other when ownership changed. Most states charge for the search, but I was provided a copy of the title application. TN blacked out the owner's address and phone number.

Thanks guys,
I'm not doing for a selling point, just to make maintenance less of a headache, but since there is a way to find out how many times it rolled over, I might not touch it. Again, thanks and I didn't mean to start a war or any thing. sorry

Thanks guys,
I'm not doing for a selling point, just to make maintenance less of a headache, but since there is a way to find out how many times it rolled over, I might not touch it. Again, thanks and I didn't mean to start a war or any thing. sorry

Don't worry it doesn't take much to start a war here:hello2:

With a 5-digit odometer there is no way to tell how many miles are on the vehicle ANYWAY. On top of that speedometers get swapped around, so it's really a non-issue.

The poster that mentioned "exempt" pretty much said it with "don't trust the odometer". Here in Alabama titles don't list mileage after 15 years I think. The PA title to my '73 does list it.

So, my 2 cents is not to worry about it but cover your behind with a speedo replacement/repair document that you can provide IF ASKED.

I experimented on a dash which was junk, thought it would be nice to see if possible to start at 00000. . i messed it totally up and plastic stuff broke.
It must take some careful finesse to get those units apart.

"If some one asked if it was OK to wipe their *** sideways , There would be somewhere that it would be illegal."

Pretty sure that (sideways thing) is illegal in most of CA.

-
Back