Roll cage through dash pad

-

Black 69 Dart

Reaction score
Starting to assemble the car and getting ready to put the dash back in. My cage runs through the dash so I need to cut the dash pad. Anyone ever do this? Any suggestions on how to do it? I have an old pad I did a trial run on and it did not come out great, used a hole saw and the vinyl cracked. The old dash pad is dried up which is why it cracke I am sure but there must be a better way.

Trevor

I'm no interior designer, if I was trying this I'd cut from the bottom with a very sharp (xacto, scalpel, etc) and leave the top cover intact, allow enough of it to fold inwards for some sort of trim

best of luck in pulling it off. just dashes can help you after you cut it out if you are so inclined to spend the $$.....

I think if I was trying to do this I would use a donor scrap dash pad to get the holes
In the sheet metal frame located.
I would cut the dash pad in two in the center and work on one side at a time to make
it easier. I would remove the pad and vinyl from the area where the bar will pass thru
so you can get the fit correct between the pad frame and the bar. 1/16" gap would be
minimum clearance for the vinyl to fit wrapped.
Then transfer the location to your good pad on the bottom and cut the steel away
with snips and or cutoff wheels.
Then dig away the foam to the outer vinyl skin put some x cuts into it heat and glue and
wrap it under.
You will have to make sure it can be taken in and out in one piece before transferring
your pattern to good pad.
Tackweld it back together for this. You need to know it will fit before any work
on the good pad. I think it can be done. I'd like to see how it turns out when done.

Just a thought to simplify things. Why no ditch the pad. They look good without it.

There are not just mounting holes, the top of the dash has big squares cut out under the dash from the factory. Would be a lot of welding and grinding and smoothing.

Razor blade in the center. Then tin snips. I fucked it up from the cover being dried out. Ill recover it but its difficult to see it in there anyway.

Also the bending or cutting I made sure I went down or inward so I didnt have roughness on the visual side.

-
Back