Roller Coaster Lights

-

olddman

Reaction score
Having problem with dash lights, dome light getting bright then dim when rpm is increased. Could this be a ground problem? Would like some suggestions as to what / where to look. Remember reading about this on the forum, but cannot find thread. Got out my voltmeter to do some checking, but I think it bit the dust. Looks like I may need to get a new one.

Could be visible indication that entire car is suffering low voltage at idle. Alternator, regulator, wiring, lots of causes other than grounds. More info on what you have gets more responses. They aren't all the same.

Having problem with dash lights, dome light getting bright then dim when rpm is increased. Could this be a ground problem? Would like some suggestions as to what / where to look. Remember reading about this on the forum, but cannot find thread. Got out my voltmeter to do some checking, but I think it bit the dust. Looks like I may need to get a new one.
Both my cars do that at idle. My Swinger is worse with the a/c on. It is dealer installed Airtemp but doesn't have a idle solenoid to kick up the idle speed to make up for the compressor drag and the extra current to keep the a/c clutch engaged.The turn signals will actually stop blinking. I should try a solid state flasher to see if that makes any difference. (I like the old noisy oem flashers myself) It only takes a few hundred rpm and the alternator charges enough to overcome the issue but a couple hundred rpm is too fast for smooth shifting between park and the drive gears.

Check the voltage regulator to ground connection first. make sure its clean. Solid state uses transistors for PWM switching (very fast) the older mechanical ones use points, and they can go bad just like ignition points.

-
Back