"Rookie-Touring" '69 Dart

-
The car is looking good Will. Any chance you can move the crossmeber forward to gain the clearance you need?

Nate

Thanks Nate! Moving the cross-member forward will cause more complications with steering rack, roll bar, etc. I'm going to drop the stock pan and chop it up to see what I need for clearance (and practice my TIG welding on aluminum). Then I'll make a call about having a pan made.

not so much worried about your tiggin as I am your tackin'

Merry CHRISTmas Will,
Denny

Steering rack is in and the front uppers are located. Only tacked the mounts for the rack in place. Based on the height of the tie rod ends, I may be able to lower the rack a bit so I'll wait for the front lowers to be in before welding the brackets solid and putting in the bracing.

file-118.jpg

file-119.jpg

very nice ,Will...now.. what is the next thing those instructions say to do?

Don't read it....just look at the picture...

if only????

BTW...kiddin aside...we are still impressed!!!

I lost the instructions along the way Denny. Do you still have yours? Maybe they will help...

Thanks 67, it definitely is beefy, and taking up about an inch more room that I want it to...

Thanks Mark.

A little bit more progress today. Seems like I'm doing more problem solving than building right now but it's coming along.

A custom oil pan from Charlie's is definitely in my future. I pulled the pan and dropped the engine again; all the room I need. Will be a real shallow pan at the cross member but I'll make up for it at the rear of the engine. The sump on this engine is unlike any V8 I've seen. I'll have to snap a picture of it.
file-120.jpg

file-121.jpg

ancient Chinese sayin....puttin 10 pounds of **** in a five pound bag....is tuff to do

Of couse where I come from we say......the difficult we do immediatly...the impossible may take a little longer...

carry on McDuff

So true Denny, so true...

Actually, engine fits between the rails better than the Hemi. It's more narrow and not as tall. Now I have to get the back brace measured up and get headers figured out. Speaking of headers, thank you Stainless Headers! The collectors are smaller than I thought, building these might be easier than I expected. Bonus!
file-123.jpg

I've been waiting to buy this for a while, so excited for it. It's freaking awesome!!!
file-124.jpg

Where is the fast forward button. I'm looking forward to seeing the final results. Definitely one of the coolest builds on here right now.

Are you mounting the giant gas cap in the stock location or on top charger style?

can you do a dry sump?...looks like somehow that motor trans has to get a little lower in there

its 6:14 am are we still at it...?

Always...

Are you mounting the giant gas cap in the stock location or on top charger style?
It's either going on top of the quarter, ala Charger, or more likely on the deck-lid filler panel toward the middle of the car. At 6'6" and a 5" ride height to the frame, I wouldn't have a problem at all reaching the middle of the car to pump gas.

can you do a dry sump?...looks like somehow that motor trans has to get a little lower in there

Can definitely do a dry sump, after I take out a mortgage, win the lotto, and rob a bank. I looked into it and $5500 later I would be ALMOST finished with the system. It's an option, albeit a final option, but an option nonetheless. I really can't say how much lower the engine/trans needs to go because I don't have my freaking hood yet... No idea when I'll be getting it. I "think" I'll be okay in the current location though. This is a problem with channeling the chassis into the body, I lose a lot of clearance. Exhaust is going to prove complicated as well for similar reasons. We'll get it all worked out though.

What with all the fab work, have you considered moving the front wheels forward a few inches ? After all it would improve the weight distribution and handling.

And enlarge the turning diameter, but yes, have considered it. I really like the stock location of the front wheels though. Not sure why, but I feel like it fits. Just me though.

Some of the work that was finished yesterday.

Started on the bumper mounts. Hope to have those finished before I head back Sunday so I can plan for the core support.
file-131.jpg

Continued work on the rear suspension. Bending tube, notching tube by hand (way tough).
file-135.jpg

file-133.jpg

need to finish the other side of this x-brace behind the LCA mounts. Should have that done along with the rest of the mounts. Hopefully will get to the shockwave mounts as well.
file-134.jpg

Having a stainless fuel tank built and will be running Vaporworx in it. More to come on that. Playing with the mock-up template.
file-127.jpg

file-125.jpg

Two more days of work before a two month break. Hoping to get a lot done the next two days, but I'm moving pretty slow...

-
Back