Rotisserie or Rolling Cart - Pros and Cons

-

1969GTS340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys who have actually used a rotisserie or a rolling frame cart for restoration... What advantages or disadvantages does one have over the other. I'm about to look at a used rotisserie near by, and I also have the material on hand where I could fabricate a frame cart.

I've used a rotisserie, but you have me at a disadvantage talking bout as rolling frame cart. Do you maybe have a picture?

What work do you need to do? How thorough is the restoration? Does the bottom need work?....

Alan

Ive used both. Imo rotisserie hands down. The ability to turn it sideways or upside down makes lfe so much easier. Back when i was in the bodyshop we had the cart. I bought a rotisserie for at home.

I've used a rotisserie, but you have me at a disadvantage talking bout as rolling frame cart. Do you maybe have a picture?

Redline_RE-ATDLY_Body_Cart.jpg

What work do you need to do? How thorough is the restoration? Does the bottom need work?....

Alan
It's a very solid southern body that I plan to restore to original condition (within my abilities anyway) This would include alot of hours on the underside. I'm leaning towards a rotisserie for that reason alone. But I like to avoid buyers remorse when ever possible, so I wanted to check in with some ecperienced folks here to see if I'm missing any considerations.

I built myself a rotisserie when I redid my 67 dart. In all honesty I think the rotisserie was a big waste of effort.
Everything I did could of been done without it. I replaced floors, mini tubbed, scraped undercoating and applied epoxy primer.
Did it make thing easier? Maybe
Did it pay for itself? Unlikely

If a used one is available you could use it and likely sell again. I kept mine because the stepson has a foxbody mustang we want to do, but his Financials are not ready for that undertaking.

Last edited:
Around here it seems you can buy a used rotisserie, use it for your project, then sell it for the same you paid.

I dont have a lift and so far not having to lay on my back scraping undercoating off and not welding over head has been worth every bit of effort and money building my rotisserie

IMG_3932.jpeg

IMG_3931.jpeg

I built a chassis jig and then bought a rotisserie for less than I could buy the steel to build my own from a member. I absolutely NEED the jig until the body is structurally able to withstand the rotisserie. If you don't have concerns about the body twisting, folding (mine is a rusty vert), the rotisserie will serve you much better.

As already mentioned, you can always sell it when you're done.

I had to build my own rotisserie.
1) At the time, I didn't know how to weld yet, so I built it out of wood, and
2) I had a low ceiling garage, also with an opener and I wanted to be able to rotate inside, and be able to get through the door while vertical. I also had a crappy driveway, so I needed wheels big enough to get through the cracks and chips.
I put the longitudinal "bars" on either side, rather than one down the middle, so the car body could dip down as low as possible. I did have to crank it up a couple inches for those times I wanted to roll it over past the roof rail/gutter corner. It cost me about $120 to build, but that was before wood prices went through the roof.

Trying to attach a couple pics, but having issues, I'll get back to it later.

Last edited:
-
Back