RS23VOA's 340 Swinger build

-
I love this build, good work so far and great pics to go along with it!

Thanks! Slow but sure. Been cold and bad weather here. Hopefully I can bust loose on it soon. Hope to be driving it by June.

After I got all my yard work done yesterday, I got after it again. I pulled the windshield, dash and heater/AC box today. No major discoveries, thank goodness.

There was some custom work done to the dash. I guess someone lost their hole saw. The oil pressure gauge is right beside the radio. There were two toggle switches in the other holes beside the flasher. They didn't go to anything. When I finally got the keys I got a cool Alf keychain with it.

So this is where I am as of this evening. Can't believe how light these cars are. I can easily pick the front of the car off the ground although i'll probably being cursing myself for doing it tomorrow.

Nice Project! That's going to be one nice car when it's done! Was it a rubber floor car? They seam to rust worse than cars that came with carpet when water gets into the insulation/sound deadener.

That Alf key chain is cool!

Nice Project! That's going to be one nice car when it's done! Was it a rubber floor car? They seam to rust worse than cars that came with carpet when water gets into the insulation/sound deadener.

That Alf key chain is cool!

Thanks! Yep, it was a rubber floor mat and carpet and heavy undercoating. I will be replacing the lower wings of the firewall like you did on yours. I also ran into some stuff around the upper control arm mounts and i'll post pics of that and the plan of attack once I get going. I've done a lot of work on the front end components. Slow but sure.

So the top of the frame rails were full of dirt around the upper control arm mounts. When I scraped them out I found this. This is the passenger side.

After days and weeks of deliberation, I came up with a plan and got after it with my 4" angle grinder, air saw and torch.

I blasted around the edges of the cuts to prepare for welding.

My buddy at the fab shop cut me some metal and I started fitting and welding.

Hard welding in such a tight area but it turned out decent so far. You think my welds look bad you should see what the factory welds looked like I cut out with the torch! Next i'll box the outside of the frame and this side will be done.

-
Back