rubber cover on shaft? or something

-

Sussmad

Reaction score
My apologies for not knowing what most things are called but I'm trying. Heard a pop on the highway and then noise that increased in volume with speed of the car. the rubber cover on the shaft was ripped and flapping around causing the noise. Part of it pulled off easily by hand, (noise lessoned considerably but did not totally disappear. also noticed a few loose rings (thin metal). What part am I dealing with and what else should be checked. The car still drove great, 63 valiant /6. I have had good luck using rockauto for parts any other suggestions. Thanks.

good thing this is a car forum but rereading my post seems like a good set up for some jokes. bring them on; automotive answers also appreciated.

Well if you are posting a serious question, my advise is to post a picture, cause I ain't gotta clue what your talking bout!

I'll stab at it you have a pre 1964 car-- & the front "U" joint is a ball & trunion style-- you rippedthe cover off of it & now the joint will be open to the road grime.
go to ebay & search ball & trunion-- I do not think rock auto has them. Andy bernbaum -- still carries them.
i believe there are two sizes of joint-- Lawrence

That must be it. Took another look. The "rings" were plastic ties that someone used to keep the rubber piece in place. The rubber cover was about 5 inches long oval shape. Wonder if I could fabricate something till I find the piece. Thanks Lawrence

A while back I started a thread called Driveshaft question. I am not computer savvy enough to post a link here, so I bumped it. Should be near the top. The guys gave me a lot of good information. There was one low buck fix that might get you back on the road again. As for me, I am still waiting for my driveshaft from the machine shop.

I am going through the same thing on my 65 cuda. Missing boot over the Ball and trunion joint. Best solution is have a drive shaft shop convert it to ujoint more modern and easier to repair. we have sought a boot for over a year it is difficult to find and more difficult to replace and rebuild B/T joint.

Andy Bernbaum has them; $25; he ships quickly. I don't like the idea of taking everything apart to get the thing on so I also ordered the Neon CV joint boot (a quick fix recommended by Oldschoolcuda on oldwirebenders driveshaft thread) $10 from Car Craft; should get it tomorrow and then we'll see which way to go.

went with the quick fix. The guy who did it for me said he didn't know how long it will last, looks pretty good to me. I got the stock part in the mail today so it will stay on the shelf until needed.

-
Back