Run Stand

-

Mopar Al

MOPAR AL
Reaction score
Does anybody have a wiring diagram for a run stand using the GM HEI? Thanks, Al

Here's the basic module

You must hook the distributor as pictured or you will cause timing issues. Some (a few) distributor pickups were evidently wired backwards, so if you have timing / rotor phase problems, try reversing them Be sure to break the plastic tip off the bottom of the module, mount it flat on a heat sink and ground.

One nice thing about the GM module is that if you leave the switch on, they do not draw current (heat up the coil) when not running

Sorry, I would give credit to, but do not remember who drew this "fancy" diagram.

Attachments

• 4Pin.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 183
This is all I use to fire up and test junker engines. An HEI module and a coil in a box

hwlcfa.jpg

I used this set up on my race car to bypass my older MSD 6200 box that I suspected was bad. It appears it was bad. I used a jumper wire from my big relay(forgot the part # it looks like a Ford solenoid) that I use as a 12 volt source for everything in the engine compartment. When I turned the ign switch off, the engine ran for about 3 seconds before it stopped running. I'm assuming it was some feedback from the alternator. If I used this system permanently could I use a Bosch type relay to switch the 12 volt to the ign coil?

Without knowing how the car is wired, I will say you can feed the ignition from a relay. But if the same wire that triggers the relay is the same one you now use for ignition, this won't change anything.......it will simply "latch" the relay in

If your solenoid is killing power from the battery, but you have the alternator hooked to the COLD side of the solenoid, this is what "is causing" this

Ok, that makes sense. I'll have to check it out tomorrow. Dealing with multiple problems right now. Thanks for the help.

-
Back