Running open shorty headers

-

NoahSewal

Reaction score
Ive looked in a few places but haven't been able to find much. My question is will i be okay to break in my engine and drive it for a week or 2 with tti open shorty headers? exhaust shop can't get me in for a couple weeks but i want to break in the engine and test the rear end for any issues. i don't want my maiden voyage to be to the exhaust shop. my main concern is warping exhaust valves. it's about 55 degrees out during the day. any opinions appreciated.

I don't see a problem other than making sure nothing near the outlets will get toasted, such as fuel system, brake tubes, starter wiring. etc etc

If you are hinting about burned valves I would not worry.

I kinda doubt it would cause the engine any issues, even the TTI shorties aren’t all that short. They’re longer than the stock manifolds are.

But it will be ridiculously loud, not to mention all the exhaust gases will be exiting into your engine compartment. Any openings in the firewall or under the car will pull carbon monoxide into the cabin.

I fired up the 340 in my Duster with open Doug’s long tubes, every neighbor within a mile knew instantaneously what I was doing.

I kinda doubt it would cause the engine any issues, even the TTI shorties aren’t all that short. They’re longer than the stock manifolds are.

But it will be ridiculously loud, not to mention all the exhaust gases will be exiting into your engine compartment. Any openings in the firewall or under the car will pull carbon monoxide into the cabin.

I fired up the 340 in my Duster with open Doug’s long tubes, every neighbor within a mile knew instantaneously what I was doing.
HAHA that's a cool story. I ran my dart with its 318 with open long tubes for maybe the last month before i pulled the engine and trans. it reminded me of going to monster jam when i was younger lol. now it's time for the 440 to fire up and i can imagine it's gonna be just as loud. thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't do it for the simple fact that if something goes wrong in the engine that you need to HEAR, you won't hear it.

I wouldn't do it for the simple fact that if something goes wrong in the engine that you need to HEAR, you won't hear it.

Also true. If it doesn't change the exhaust note you won't notice it at all!

Nothing like the sound of an engine with open headers during first fire, did it many times.
A few times with manifolds.
The cops and neighbors are the only problem you might have driving it.

Ive looked in a few places but haven't been able to find much. My question is will i be okay to break in my engine and drive it for a week or 2 with tti open shorty headers? exhaust shop can't get me in for a couple weeks but i want to break in the engine and test the rear end for any issues. i don't want my maiden voyage to be to the exhaust shop. my main concern is warping exhaust valves. it's about 55 degrees out during the day. any opinions appreciated.
Get some metal flex tubing & clamp it to your collectors and use bailing wire to tie it up to the underside of the car. This way you'll at least have the exhaust going away from the engine compartment and keep the hot gasses from toasting something important. I've done this to drive the car to the exhaust shop. Yes it will still be loud, but much safer.

I didn't see it mentioned, and assuming the headers are new, but doesn't TTI caution against breaking in your motor with their new headers?

I didn't see it mentioned, and assuming the headers are new, but doesn't TTI caution against breaking in your motor with their new headers?

Yes. They say the exhaust temps will ruin the ceramic coating. That would probably be even more so with open headers.

-
Back